U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:00 PM

15,573 posts, read 9,599,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I have no intention of booby-trapping anything.

That said, why do you think it is ok for the mail carrier to walk through my garden? And no, it isn't just a flower bed; this is how I made my living for 20+ years and the gardens I am currently setting up will allow future clients to see my skills and designs put into practice. I spend considerable time in the summer working on design ideas, money on plantings, and hours of tending. So no, it isn't "just someone walking through a flower bed", but even if it were, until the mail carrier starts coughing up money to pay my property taxes he should show at least a modicum of respect for the homeowner's property.

It isn't my job to make the mail carrier comfortable. If they are uncomfortable walking 25 feet down to the sidewalk and up the neighbor's driveway they should get another job.

? I have no idea how I am ruining other people's mail?
I was referring to the sprinkler idea. The water could ruin the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 01:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,184,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
you're taking a chance on ruining other peoples mail.

Good point, and that is a felony.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:40 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,130,726 times
Come Tiptoe through the tulips with me.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:49 PM

72,783 posts, read 64,231,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
? I have no idea how I am ruining other people's mail?
That was in response to the motion-activated sprinkler system. lol It wasn't directed at you, OP

Old 12-28-2014, 03:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,835,229 times
Quote:
or you could just make a gravel path for him to walk on and landscape around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
Can you put down a few stepping stones and make a pathway? If you think about it, that's kind of a crappy job, having to deal with picky people all day, always someone upset about something. Why not try to challenge yourself and be nice, make it easier for someone else.
I agree with these two.

-or-

Old 12-28-2014, 03:18 PM

9,194 posts, read 10,143,406 times
Federal employees are not exempt from laws. Call your local prosecutor, explain the problem with his refusal to comply with your orders, and ask how you can prosecute. Don't bother with either the police or the post office. Prosecutors are either politician themselves or work for politicians. That just about guarantees responsiveness.

Do not try to get him wet or do anything on your own; you could easily be charged with a federal crime.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:18 PM

5,819 posts, read 3,097,420 times
Remember two things first the service instructs their carriers, especially the uniformed city carriers to take the shortest route and they are legally able to cross lawns. Second its not just your extra 25 feet. It is potentially 25 feet times however many deliveries that carrier has on his route. It is the reason postmasters are always trying to drag the mailbox away from your door to a central location or at least curbside. To cut out that 50 foot round trip and then add more deliveries to that carrier's route because he is not wasting time walking to the street and back instead of a straight line.

Most carriers since they are out alone and may encounter you daily will not walk across a lawn if you ask them. Others will demand a letter for their route instruction book so that an inspector won't see them "wasting time' and add more territory to their route. And a few are just mean as the only criteria for being hired was scoring higher on the written test then the next applicant.

Now if your garden really looks like a short cut every other carrier who substitutes on the route will also see it and take it. And they never have the time to read special route instructions like don't cross the lawn at 123 Elm St. If that is the case a fence or moving your mailbox to the curb (you can move it to save time, if you move it and it takes more time the carrier can refuse to accept a changed delivery point)

Old 12-28-2014, 04:25 PM

11,399 posts, read 16,006,908 times
Quote:
I was referring to the sprinkler idea. The water could ruin the mail.
Does it not rain where you live? My mail carrier manages to deliver mail unscathed, even in the pouring rain.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:32 PM

5,819 posts, read 3,097,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Does it not rain where you live? My mail carrier manages to deliver mail unscathed, even in the pouring rain.
That doesn't mean we walk through water when we can avoid it. You don't want to be walking for 6 hours with wet socks unless absolutely necessary.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:52 PM

9,816 posts, read 7,121,400 times
There are some funny comments here and I would add throw down some raw sewage, no one is going to willingly walk through a failed septic field that has bubbled to the top.
Seriously call the PO in your town and talk to the Supervisor and if you don't get satisfaction call the post master.
When I was a casual for that Summer I got back to the PO and the Supervisor took me aside and asked me if I had stuck my tongue out at someone. Some lady had actually called because she thought I had stuck my tongue out at her. I didn't do it and couldn't even remember some lady looking weird at me. I asked the Super if she had thought it was a sexual tongue or just to be mean, he didn't know. Point is the lady complained and the Super asked me about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden