U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 AM

14,475 posts, read 11,474,558 times

Advertisements

I cant stand people who take short cuts across grassy areas and even more if they belong to someones house... but its nothing like where I used to live on a housing scheme... in a flat, I lived in the bottom house which had a large garden... I paid for a large fence to be erected round it with a gate for privacy... but no.... some cretins dont understand other peoples property and were either lifting their kids over to play in my well kept garden without permission or opening the gate and putting their dogs in.... and you think the postman is trouble...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 05:34 AM

13,118 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I cant stand people who take short cuts across grassy areas and even more if they belong to someones house... but its nothing like where I used to live on a housing scheme... in a flat, I lived in the bottom house which had a large garden... I paid for a large fence to be erected round it with a gate for privacy... but no.... some cretins dont understand other peoples property and were either lifting their kids over to play in my well kept garden without permission or opening the gate and putting their dogs in.... and you think the postman is trouble...
It is one thing for people to come to you and ask your permission to use your property (providing that they are also willing to not use it if you say NO). It is another thing for people that just demand what is yours is theirs. You pay the taxes/rent/upkeep and you do the work - why should anybody have use without your permission?

I have run into issues with some neighbors and their dogs. Just because I own property does not give anybody the right to let their dogs run free on my land. People move to the country and they feel that it is too much work to walk their dogs. They simply open the door and let their dogs run anyplace.

I have called neighbors and asked them to keep their dogs on their own property. I have also informed them of the $1000 fine for not having their dogs under control in our state. In some cases I simply go outside and take pictures of their animals running on our property as evidence for court - if they do not comply. So far I have not had to go to court. But you do have to collect the evidence incase you have the one neighbor that will not comply.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It wouldn't be a felony. The carrier was trespassing.
I don't know where you people come up with this crap. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue decades ago.

Mail carriers can take the shortest route from box to box including cutting across open private landscapes. If you don't like it and it becomes a major legal issue the local PO can make you put a box curb side to receive your mail or just not deliver your mail.

My suggestion OP is to set up a camera if you suspect the carrier is maliciously causing damage to your property for evidence to hand to the DA. Or as other have suggested erect a legal barrier to force them to go around your yard instead of thru it.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:45 AM

5,801 posts, read 3,087,683 times
Article 41.3.N of the contract between the USPS and their city letter carriers:

N. Letter Carriers may cross lawns while making deliveries
if customers do not object and there are no particular hazards
to the carrier.

From there postal management issues discipline if they think the city carrier is not talking the shortest, fastest route and thus is stealing time(is money for hourly employees) from the service.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 AM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

to the carrier.

From there postal management issues discipline if they think the city carrier is not talking the shortest, fastest route and thus is stealing time(is money for hourly employees) from the service.
It seems the carrier must have the homeowner's permission, and crossing a lawn is not the same as trampling plants in a garden.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 AM

14,475 posts, read 11,474,558 times
walking constantly over a lawn ruins the grass, of course no one should do this..

Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It seems the carrier must have the homeowner's permission, and crossing a lawn is not the same as trampling plants in a garden.
The carrier does not have to have the owners permission. And yes blantant damage is grounds for a complaint and possible legal recompense if it's proven.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 AM

8,175 posts, read 14,249,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

to the carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The carrier does not have to have the owners permission. And yes blantant damage is grounds for a complaint and possible legal recompense if it's proven.
The caselaw cited does not reference "permission"; it refers to objection. In this case, the homeowner HAS objected. Also, damage has been done in the form of plants killed. It is still damage and it is done AFTER objection.

Find a neighbor with goats and get some goat poop - and some male goat urine. Man does that stink - but it also is wonderful for plants.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:37 AM

5,801 posts, read 3,087,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The service sees it the opposite, that their carriers must have an owners complaint not to cross a lawn. Most carriers will not if you ask them not to. Others will demand a letter to go into their route instruction book so a supervisor looking for time wasting procedures won't write them up for stealing time from the postal service.

There is a wide range between walking on a natural trail between plants and taking out a machete to bust a path open. seeing as he probably has a satchel off of one shoulder and mail on the other arm making him much wider then a normal person he probably sees a trail in between those plants in order to walk through. The real test would be if substitutes carrying the route see the same trail and take it as they have no history with the home owner. If the substitutes don't see a shortcut then you just have one of those nasty individuals who scored higher on the test and has the seniority to hold on to that route.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:24 AM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
If you think about it, that's kind of a crappy job, having to deal with picky people all day, always someone upset about something.
It's really crappy to knock over someone's bird bath, destroy property, and disregard a request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I could just surrender now and put down a stepping stone path for him, but I have plans for that area in the spring- it is (was?) going to be my blueberry patch, and I really don't feel that I should have to give that plan up in order to accommodate the postal carrier.
No, you shouldn't, nor should anyone expect you to. Plant the blueberries, and fence them in to block the mail carrier's path until the blueberry bushes grow large enough to block the path themselves.

Let us know how your chat with the local postmaster goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
That being said, why should someone with a garden have to change the landscaping for a postal carrier? as long as he can get to the mailbox somehow I don't get it.
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
you're taking a chance on ruining other peoples mail.
That's the letter carrier's problem, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Juvenile is still crossing the garden even though you have been asked not to cross.
Right. The letter carrier is the one in the wrong here. The homeowner has asked that he not walk through the garden, and he continues to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden