U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,061,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So, if this is a business and you want to show off to clients, why not put a path through the area? Don't most people in that sort of business also incorporate hardscape into their designs if requested? Show off that skill too. Secondly if the area is intended as your future blueberry patch you will need room between plants for maintenance and harvesting, so again I don't see why a path isn't a consideration? You could come to a compromise that works for both of you, instead of simply insisting that he doesn't have the right and by george you will put an end to it.
Design-wise a path doesn't work there, and I don't do hardscapes. Yes blueberry bushes need space between, but there isn't an additional 3' anywhere there to allow for a path and still leave room for the blueberry bushes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
In the end break the short cut. A fence is one option a curb side box so he isn't in your yard trying to get to the next yard is another option
Yes, if my conversation with the postmaster doesn't go well I will look into a 4' fence.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I hope the OP did not give him a box of candy for Xmas!
Too funny, and no I didn't, but maybe I should have?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 7,365,888 times
I like the idea of the water sprayer. I would put it in and post signs that say:

Warning.....Due to dogs running loose and damaging my garden it is protected by motion detection high volume water cannon. Dogs and cats will be soaked. Humans please do not enter my garden, so you don't get soaked with water.

Then they cannot say they were not warned if the postman gets wet. In fact you could even call the post office, and tell them that you have a dog problem and had take steps to stop it, and could they let the postal carrier know so they don't get soaked.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:28 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,904,417 times
The only other solution I can see is moving the mailbox. I don't know the logistics of the delivery, but I think you said he comes to your house after cutting through a neighbor's driveway? I don't remember.

I used to deliver a bunch of houses from an alley and the boxes were at the back.

Just a thought. I don't think you should cave in.

There are really wonderful letter carriers out there who will do the right ( and humane, hospitable) thing because they already get paid a decent wage and it is their job.

Then you have the other element. "Oh I'm not doing "x" for "y" because he doesn't give me a big enough Christmas tip. S#$@! him".

This happens; they're not just being funny. I've yet to see anyone monitor or check for Christmas tips.

My mailman is awesome!!!!!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,621,026 times
a simple 2 or 3 wire electric fence?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,159,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I looked at the name on the letters and thought OH Crap, the husband was a rather large body building guy who was also a town police man.
I find it troubling that you researched one of your postal customers.

It shouldn't matter that the husband is a big guy who scares you. Stay off my lawn, too.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:58 PM

5,805 posts, read 3,090,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
The only other solution I can see is moving the mailbox. I don't know the logistics of the delivery, but I think you said he comes to your house after cutting through a neighbor's driveway? I don't remember.

I used to deliver a bunch of houses from an alley and the boxes were at the back.

Just a thought. I don't think you should cave in.

There are really wonderful letter carriers out there who will do the right ( and humane, hospitable) thing because they already get paid a decent wage and it is their job.

Then you have the other element. "Oh I'm not doing "x" for "y" because he doesn't give me a big enough Christmas tip. S#$@! him".

This happens; they're not just being funny. I've yet to see anyone monitor or check for Christmas tips.

My mailman is awesome!!!!!
I think it was the other way around. The OP's box was first the carrier then looks across the lawn and sees a short cut to the next delivery point so he doesn't go back to the street and circle back up to the next doorstep box.

I had some of those boxes in the back of houses and apartments when I worked South Central LA. In many cases I had to hit a lock box to get a key for a single family house and the lots in that part of the county were huge the amount of time I cost to deliver a single ad to some of those places must have been huge.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:08 AM

13,134 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Too funny, and no I didn't, but maybe I should have?
We had trouble with our carrier sticking our mail in somebody else's mail box or leaving the box open when raining. We are now giving him a big box of cookies every Xmas - instead of complaining to the Post Master. His 'service' has been a little better since we started giving the cookies. It isn't 'great' service - but I don't know if he isn't holding our for an even larger box of cookies!

PS As far as moving the mailbox: Doesn't the PO tell you exactly where the mailbox is supposed to go?

Old 12-30-2014, 05:24 AM

I will go down tomorrow morning to speak with the postmaster. It is a small neighborhood post office so hopefully he will know the area and be receptive.
All the homes in my area are single family bungalows with smallish front yards; the mailbox (no lock) is on the house, in my case it is on the porch.
I will ask the postmaster what my options are for moving the mailbox, but the shortest route from the street would still be through my garden which runs up the entire length and side of my front yard.
Long range I had planned to fence the entire yard, but am just not able to bear that expense at this time. It sounds like I am going to need to do at least that one side of the yard.
Why does everything need to get so complicated?
I will let you know how it goes with the postmaster tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden