Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 12:15 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The service sees it the opposite, that their carriers must have an owners complaint not to cross a lawn. Most carriers will not if you ask them not to. Others will demand a letter to go into their route instruction book so a supervisor looking for time wasting procedures won't write them up for stealing time from the postal service.

There is a wide range between walking on a natural trail between plants and taking out a machete to bust a path open. seeing as he probably has a satchel off of one shoulder and mail on the other arm making him much wider then a normal person he probably sees a trail in between those plants in order to walk through. The real test would be if substitutes carrying the route see the same trail and take it as they have no history with the home owner. If the substitutes don't see a shortcut then you just have one of those nasty individuals who scored higher on the test and has the seniority to hold on to that route.
As another poster has noted, an objection has been made.

A garden is not a lawn.

If there were no damage being done, the OP would probably have no objections at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:26 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
As another poster has noted, an objection has been made.

A garden is not a lawn.

If there were no damage being done, the OP would probably have no objections at all.
In got that the vast majority will stay off, a minority will demand a letter for their route instruction book. and a micro minority are just bad people. Followed by substitutes on the route will not know of the history and if they see a short cut they will take it. I don't know how much damage is done by one footstep a day. A delicate garden plant maybe a but a grass lawn? In any case just like you have the three classes of carriers you also have the three classes of home owners in the same general percentage when it comes to making complaints, for some just seeing someone, especially in a government uniform, in their castle is damage.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I don't know where you people come up with this crap. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue decades ago.

Mail carriers can take the shortest route from box to box including cutting across open private landscapes. If you don't like it and it becomes a major legal issue the local PO can make you put a box curb side to receive your mail or just not deliver your mail.

My suggestion OP is to set up a camera if you suspect the carrier is maliciously causing damage to your property for evidence to hand to the DA. Or as other have suggested erect a legal barrier to force them to go around your yard instead of thru it.
What part of

N. Letter Carriers may cross lawns while making deliveries
if customers do not object and there are no particular hazards
to the carrier.

do you not understand?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
What part of

to the carrier.

do you not understand?
That is an internal contract. Managers don't want to be on the phone or in meetings listening to complaints, the if no complaints phrase. However they also want the carrier to cut across yards in straight lines to save time and reduce delivery staff. The Supreme Court ruled that as part of their duties the postal service can cross private land to access your mailbox and be exempt from criminal or civil liabilities.

Unlike most others there is a letter carrier that serves almost everybody, the conspiracy nut, the drug house, the rapist on parole, the owner of attack dogs. Until the new community boxes started to be installed in the middle of blocks only a few in mostly rural communities were required to visit a central location to get their mail. And most still have their doorstep deliveries grandfathered in with congressional protection should a postmaster want to drag mail boxes to the curb or put a box in the middle of the block like people in newly constructed subdivisions have.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:37 PM

772 posts, read 913,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
My postal carrier is taking a shortcut through my garden which backs up on my neighbor's driveway. Rather than walking the 25 feet down to the sidewalk and walking up my neighbor's driveway, he just walks through my garden. I have known for awhile that they have been doing this, but only catch them actually doing it once in awhile. I caught him again yesterday and asked him not to walk through my garden, so of course, he went ahead and did it anyway. I asked him why he did that and he shrugged. I was furious.

They do it in all seasons, it doesn't seem to matter to them that there is something growing there. This last summer I found my very nice birdbath broken on the ground when I put it in that area.

What would you do?

The only alternative I think I have is to put up a 4' fence all the way down the neighbor's driveway- about 25', likely an expense of about $1500.

So frustrating! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Call.his.supervisor.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I hope the OP did not give him a box of candy for Xmas!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
What part of

to the carrier.

do you not understand?
I understand that you dont grasp the implications of the ruling.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 PM

In the end break the short cut. A fence is one option a curb side box so he isn't in your yard trying to get to the next yard is another option

Old 12-29-2014, 03:01 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
The suggestions to booby trap the path with a sprinkler or animal waste are really sickening. Why would anyone's first suggestion be something so aggressive and so punitive? Geeze, people. And we wonder why people in this world can't get along?

It's just someone walking through a flower bed, not burglarizing your property. It is something that can be dealt with in a civilized fashion. Mail carriers have a rough enough job as it is. Don't go making them even more uncomfortable than they already are. You are not as aggrieved as you think.
They tried being civil. The Postal worker ignored the request to stay out of the garden.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
So, if this is a business and you want to show off to clients, why not put a path through the area? Don't most people in that sort of business also incorporate hardscape into their designs if requested? Show off that skill too. Secondly if the area is intended as your future blueberry patch you will need room between plants for maintenance and harvesting, so again I don't see why a path isn't a consideration? You could come to a compromise that works for both of you, instead of simply insisting that he doesn't have the right and by george you will put an end to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden