Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:49 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,312,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because the US Postal Service believes that a carrier doing his duty has the right to take the most efficient route to his next delivery point and the US Supreme Court has backed the postal service before in such confrontations. Thus making him not a trespasser but a carrier authorized to be on your property because that is where your mail receptacle is. You will not win a civil suit and the Sheriff will not arrest the carrier doing his duty. The option becomes how to get rid of the apparent shortest route to the next point.

A fence, move the box or make an accommodation with providing a path in the garden plan. If you interfere with the carrier the postal service does have three of its own police forces and none of them stands for election like your local Sheriff and/or Attorneys General.
This isn't about providing access to a mailbox. It's about the destruction of private property. He's been given access to the mail boxes, he's just not using it. He's not allowed to traipse through flower beds killing plants any more than he's allowed to walk over the top of your car and dent the hood because it was the "shortest line between point a and b".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 02:34 AM

15,978 posts, read 20,964,469 times
Don't act like I'm not aware of how much work gardening is, been there, done that.
And what's with the 3' wide path? Unless your carrier is jumbo size or coming through on a segway I fail to see why a narrower path between plants wouldn't suffice.
I think it's very shortsighted to act like your carrier is your enemy. This is somebody (or somebodies) you will probably have a working relationship with for as long as you live in that home, do you really want to antagonize them? Is it worth it?

Old 01-02-2015, 05:33 AM

698 posts, read 955,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Thank you!!! I had a multi-year battle with my PO that still comes up from time to time. I was actually laughed at and told that it wasn't possible for a path to be worn by one person. Yet it was there, on both sides of the front yard.
and the PO wonders why they are losing so much money, horrible customer service.

My local PO has one self service box in the lobby, many times I've used it after hours there's no pen, so how's a person to fill out the label?

Complained multiple times. "there's no pen in the lobby" The response I got from the same postal worker was, "people just rip the pen off the stand so it's a waste of money to replace"

Are you kidding me? So every time i was in the PO after that I dropped a note in the mail slot, "no pen in lobby" FINALLY they replaced the pen!

Old 01-02-2015, 06:01 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,976,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Don't act like I'm not aware of how much work gardening is, been there, done that.
And what's with the 3' wide path? Unless your carrier is jumbo size or coming through on a segway I fail to see why a narrower path between plants wouldn't suffice.
I think it's very shortsighted to act like your carrier is your enemy. This is somebody (or somebodies) you will probably have a working relationship with for as long as you live in that home, do you really want to antagonize them? Is it worth it?
A carrier with a mailbag on his/her hip is going to need about 3' clearance- it is an estimate.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
The space I have in that area is very limited- a path 3' wide by 4' deep is 12' square of gardening space you would have me give up- actually in fact more than that because I would then need to re-arrange my planting in the adjacent space to allow room for that path, needing to ensure that my blueberry bushes don't grow out into the path. So, instead of planting 3 blueberry bushes I would only be able to have 2 there.

I am not acting as if anybody is my enemy. Not sure where you get that from. Wanting to use my property as I see fit-to maximize my available gardening space- and requesting due consideration from a postal carrier is not treating someone as an enemy.

This is likely to be a moot point at any rate since if I put up a fence it puts a stop to the short cut.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 AM

698 posts, read 955,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
A carrier with a mailbag on his/her hip is going to need about 3' clearance- it is an estimate.

I am not acting as if anybody is my enemy. Not sure where you get that from. Wanting to use my property as I see fit-to maximize my available gardening space- and requesting due consideration from a postal carrier is not treating someone as an enemy.

This is likely to be a moot point at any rate since if I put up a fence it puts a stop to the short cut.
I wouldn't put in the path, the carrier needs to use the paved walkways that are already in place and respect your property.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Thank you fisheye, this is a viable solution and one I am weighing against other possible options. I never would have thought of doing this so I appreciate the suggestion. Our ground is frozen now so any fencing of any kind would have to wait until it begins to warm a bit which gives me a little time to get estimates and sort out what the best option would be.
Possibly you already stated this? How many feet do you have to fence to cut him off from your garden area? If it is only a short area; possibly you could just place preassembles fence sections cutting off his path? Lowe's sells these sections for only $26.37 at my local store: Shop Spruce Gothic Pressure Treated Wood Fence Picket Panel (Common: 3.5-ft x 8-ft; Actual: 3.46-ft x 8-ft) at Lowes.com=. They are only 3 and half feet high - which would stop a mail carrier and not block too much sunlight for your garden. But, if your area would take ten or more sections; you could easily be talking about several hundreds of dollars to stop one man. It would make an attractive fence and you would not have to worry about him picking blueberries on his trip through the garden. Just make sure you don't buy a section with a gate!

Old 01-02-2015, 06:44 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,638,493 times
We had this problem with our neighbors cutting through our yard and playing sports in our back yard. Talking to people like this does no good because they have no respect for others. In the front yard I planted bayberry bushes along the back side of my garden and strung up a wire which stopped them from cutting through. In the back yard I had a 3 foot high welded wire fence installed to keep them out. I got the property surveyed, and the fence was installed well within my yard, but they had a major hissy fit that I was building a fence so they couldn't continue using my yard whenever they wished. Those were the worst neighbors I ever had and it was worth every penny to keep them off my property. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
We had this problem with our neighbors cutting through our yard and playing sports in our back yard. Talking to people like this does no good because they have no respect for others. In the front yard I planted bayberry bushes along the back side of my garden and strung up a wire which stopped them from cutting through. In the back yard I had a 3 foot high welded wire fence installed to keep them out. I got the property surveyed, and the fence was installed well within my yard, but they had a major hissy fit that I was building a fence so they couldn't continue using my yard whenever they wished. Those were the worst neighbors I ever had and it was worth every penny to keep them off my property. Good luck.
I have five acres and on one of the nine neighbors, that I share a border with; I have one five foot high log row two hundred feet long. They did not ask permission; they just insisted our property was theirs. We have not burned wood for many years - but it was an excellent place to store the wood from the deed trees I took down.

The problem with neighbors, like these, is that when they demand use of your property; you want to fight back. Decent people ask permission and abide by a 'NO' when it is not given or is given conditionally. We do the work on our property, we pay the bills, taxes and insurance - it simply isn't fair for somebody else to demand access. I would let my whole property get overgrown with barberries and Hawthorne trees before I will give into any demand for access.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 AM

6,479 posts, read 4,881,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have five acres and on one of the nine neighbors, that I share a border with; I have one five foot high log row two hundred feet long. They did not ask permission; they just insisted our property was theirs. We have not burned wood for many years - but it was an excellent place to store the wood from the deed trees I took down.
Sounds like you found my ex-neighbors.

We have 60' of frontage. They would tie their dog to the center of their front porch (meanwhile they had an enclosed back yard) with a 100' line. Yes, you read that right. 100' from the center of their porch meant their dog could use their yard, mine and the guy on the other side of them. And halfway out in the street.

Anyway, the dog would come through the bushes (mine) that lined our driveways. Then he'd go back through and get tangled up. The guy got pissed that his dog was getting tangled up in the bushes and said he was going to cut them down. (the bushes are mine and on my property and his dog would not be getting tangled if he wasn't also on my property. Most normal people understand this)

The best day was when he measured his property with a string based off a random stone in the back corner of his yard. He then declared that he owned one side of my garage and was going to tear that down too.

He was such a nut job though that I actually feared for my property when he got his surveyed and it turned out that I owned more than we both thought I did. His last stake went a good 6" into his newly poured driveway.

What a nightmare - I was never so happy to see someone move away.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,568,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
How did those neighbors think they could play sports in your back yard? Is it open to common area? I have a neighbor who not long ago found a family who did not live in our HOA having a picnic on a blanket in his backyard. It is open to a pond but many houses from access to the path around the pond. Just wondering what these people are thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden