Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM

392 posts, read 754,354 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

Last spring we planted some one gallon boxwood in three different beds in the front yard (we live in Houston area). Since that time I haven't noticed much growth to any of them and the ones that are planted one certain bed started turning lighter green. Now I can see the ones planted in the two other beds sprouting and making new leaves, but the ones in this bed are getting yellower.

I haven't added any fertilizer since planting except adding manure to the soil.

Can you please advise me on how to save them.

N.B. the sun exposure is almost the same for all of them except maybe this bed is getting a couple of hours more of sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Hopefully you mixed the manure 50/50 with dirt before filling into planter around plants.

The one that is turning lighter green could be getting too much or not enough water hard to say. Could be a blight attacking the plant as well or chlorosis.

Also what cultivar did you plant? Some boxwoods grow faster than others.

Pictures of the plants, leaves and surroundings cold also tell a better story.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:09 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Hopefully you mixed the manure 50/50 with dirt before filling into planter around plants.

The one that is turning lighter green could be getting too much or not enough water hard to say. Could be a blight attacking the plant as well or chlorosis.

Also what cultivar did you plant? Some boxwoods grow faster than others.

Pictures of the plants, leaves and surroundings cold also tell a better story.
If the manure was green,, not composted, it is tying up the soil's nitrogen as it composts in the planter, and that would definitely turn plants pale green or yellow. Years ago when we put our foundation beds in, the landscape guys used a popular soil amendment everyone uses around here. It contains manure, which is supposed to be composted. All the plants and shrubs in my beds turned pale within a few weeks. I asked our county Extension Agent what could be happening, told him what the bed was amended with, and he said that product often does that because the manure in it is still too green.

The solution was to keep adding more nitrogen until the manure was fully decomposed and no longer stealing nitrogen from the plants.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Original poster,
Yes, Tina is right.
Go to a local nursery and buy a small bag of miliorganite, and
spread in into the soil, get it down into the soil real good.
Not too much, read the instructions on the bag.
Your plants will be fine after providing a little more nitrogen.
You can use what ever Milorganite you have left on your lawn or
plants this spring.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
If the manure was green,, not composted, it is tying up the soil's nitrogen as it composts in the planter, and that would definitely turn plants pale green or yellow. Years ago when we put our foundation beds in, the landscape guys used a popular soil amendment everyone uses around here. It contains manure, which is supposed to be composted. All the plants and shrubs in my beds turned pale within a few weeks. I asked our county Extension Agent what could be happening, told him what the bed was amended with, and he said that product often does that because the manure in it is still too green.

The solution was to keep adding more nitrogen until the manure was fully decomposed and no longer stealing nitrogen from the plants.
Yup. Thats why I always recommend a 50/50 mix before spreading it. Just in case.

I also always toss in some nitrogen fert granules.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I have two different types of boxwood. One (Winter Gem) is a hedge, about 30' long and 3' high. I started with about 20 individual plants and it's taken 9 years to get to where it is now, looking like a nice hedge.

The other type, (Wintergreen), I have three of and they're about 4' tall and trimmed to be round balls. Last summer, one of them suddenly had a large area die and I chopped it out (which drives my OCD crazy since they don't all match now!), but I have no clue what's wrong with it. I put some sort of disease control liquid from Home Depot on it. Right now, it's not growing since it's winter, but I'm hoping the rest doesn't die off this summer. Anyone know why a "chunk" of it would just die?

Old 01-12-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I have two different types of boxwood. One (Winter Gem) is a hedge, about 30' long and 3' high. I started with about 20 individual plants and it's taken 9 years to get to where it is now, looking like a nice hedge.

The other type, (Wintergreen), I have three of and they're about 4' tall and trimmed to be round balls. Last summer, one of them suddenly had a large area die and I chopped it out (which drives my OCD crazy since they don't all match now!), but I have no clue what's wrong with it. I put some sort of disease control liquid from Home Depot on it. Right now, it's not growing since it's winter, but I'm hoping the rest doesn't die off this summer. Anyone know why a "chunk" of it would just die?
More than likely blight.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM

392 posts, read 754,354 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20150112_161051.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	142895

Name:	WIN_20150112_161112.JPG
Views:	949
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	142896

Name:	WIN_20150112_161132 (2).JPG
Views:	374
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	142897

Name:	WIN_20150112_161156.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	142898

Dear all thank you very much for the replies. the first two pictures show the flower bed with weak and yellow boxwood. The third picture is the for the flower bed on the same side of the house whose boxwood are doing well.
Last picture is for another flower bed whose most boxwood are good except for one or two.

I have sprinkler system and I think are all getting enough water and actually right now we have plenty of winter rain.

When planting, we amended the soil with humus and manure then mulched.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 PM

Is the sprinkler system adjusted for the extra precipitation?

Have checked to see how much moisture is being retained in the ground around the boxwood? And does it differ for the green vs yellow plants?

In my experience usually it's an over watering issue. Could also be poor drainage as well.

Heavy clay soils?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:18 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times

I know this is going to be a wildly unpopular opinion.....

But why would you go out of your way with your labor + money to save these clearly sick $3.99 landscape installations? One gallon boxwood cuttings are not worth the plastic container they're potted in. (Which reminds me of the many times I've seen immigrant landscape crews being pushed for time and production, dump the plant still in its pot, right into the ground. You might want to poke around to see if that might be the case.)

Pull that unsuitable junk out of there and plant something that is more beautiful and better adapted to your growing conditions. Then take care of it.

I wouldn't waste one more minute worrying about these cheap contractor-installed dull and unhealthy parking lot plants. Get rid of em. Stop worrying. Even the bare mulch is better than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden