U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM

2,698 posts, read 1,774,631 times

Advertisements

Me, too.

I think I need a grow-light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 AM

13,121 posts, read 17,664,361 times
well now I have two sweet and neats tomatoes growing along with a hamns gelbe
I plan to plant
perth pride
Iditarod red
wild fred
sweet sue
cyrils choice
these will all be in pots and in my sunroom ...I hope they all grow good and plan to have tomatoes all year long .

Old 02-11-2015, 11:29 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,140,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have got some dwarfs already growing in pots and I will keep them growing inside until they are gone and after they are gone I will plant some more dwarfs and then I will put a couple of big tomatoe seed in my huge pots and see how they do this year . I will be in a different zone yep moving in two week to a different zone so im excited to be in a warmer environment . Im ready for a warm environment LOL ....getting too old for this cold artic winters aka Midwest winters . Im also going to grow some cream sausage tomatoe as well .
Oooh, phonelady, please let me know how your Cream Sausage tomato does growth-wise and then how it tastes later in the season once you get ripe fruit! I am on the fence with whether or not I am going to grow it this season. I already have like 6 determinates in the plans for this year (along with 12 indeterminates), but I really need to back off. I only liked the flavor of the tomatoes from 7 of my 8 plants last year and had more than enough tomatoes for my immediate household and a few to share. I wish one plant would grow 10 different kinds of tomatoes so we wouldn't have to plant so many darn plants! I really want to be able to share a lot more this year, as well as try varieties I've only recently heard of (being new to gardening and all)..

I am getting really antsy to start all of my tomatoes! I have to keep telling myself it doesn't do any good to start too soon. Patience is usually one of my strengths, but not when it comes to springtime, green trees and grass and growing my own food!!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well now I have two sweet and neats tomatoes growing along with a hamns gelbe
I plan to plant
perth pride
Iditarod red
wild fred
sweet sue
cyrils choice
these will all be in pots and in my sunroom ...I hope they all grow good and plan to have tomatoes all year long .
I've never heard of any of those (other than Sweet 'n Neat)! Are you still planning Cream Sausage? Are all of the varieties you're growing dwarfs or determinates? How big are your containers?

I'll put out my final list of everything once I get the tomatoes and eggplant going. By then it will be time to start getting the cool season stuff outdoors (at least during the day) and I'll have plenty of room for growing indoors.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:53 AM

oh yes the cream sausage is going in the 5 gallon bucket and I have all 5 gal and one 10 gal the cream sausage might go in the 10 gal pot . I think you should still grow it out and see how yours do ...compared to mine . yes all are dwarfs except for cream sausage ...

Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Looking forward to seeing how your dwarfs do! I am only growing New Big Dwarf which I've heard good things about. My Better Bush last year did very well until a thunderstorm blew the bucket over in August. I harvested quite a lot of large, beautiful fruits. Flavor was okay, but not my favorite and I won't grow it again. I did, however, absolutely LOVE how compact it was.

I may grow the CS if I can tear myself away from other determinates I've already sort of mentally committed myself to. Anything is subject to change, though, since I haven't started my "true" plants yet (only the test plants)..

Old 02-11-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, so let me make sure I understand you: I am using a lot of standard round planters and yes, I realize I will need to use potting soil in them. I have in the past used regular top soil, but it hasn't worked well. I get a few peppers or whatever but not enough to make it worth while. Now, my question, what about the large containers I am using? They are plastic and are similar to the storage boxes many of us store our Christmas decorations in. Do they require potting soil as well? I do know we have to drill holes in them, near the bottom, right?
nmnita, sorry I missed your post here!

Yes, use the same type of potting mix in all of your containers. I would recommend a good peat-based mix (peat should be the first ingredient listed on the ingredients list). I add a handful or two of perlite to the potting mix in each of my buckets to help with aeration (makes the mix less dense) and moisture retention. Most potting mixes already have perlite and small amounts of fertilizer already in them, but a little supplementation hasn't hurt me. Regarding organic or inorganic, that's totally your choice.

Always drill holes in the bottom of a container for drainage. I just use a " bit. Make enough holes that excess water will drain, but not so many that you've got mix falling out all over the place when you lift your container.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 PM

Default this is my hams gelbe from last year

This lil guy produced a ton of golden tomatoes they were delicious ....

Last edited by phonelady61; 10-20-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 02:19 PM

I would also like to ask if anyone here has grown Omars Lebanese tomatoes ? if so what were they like ?

Old 02-11-2015, 03:39 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,512,524 times
We've had some very nice, warm weather here in Denver lately, but the real planting season is still far off. Although in 2 or 3 weeks, I'll plant pansies in my containers for the front porch and rake/fertilize the lawn to kick off 2015 I can't wait to get started!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or