Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:29 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
NickMan, Phonelady is right...your harvest from containers is amazing! Everyone could learn something from you, for sure!
Thanks, Pots! In all honesty, I have no secrets, just really good luck! I followed the instructions the Earthboxes came with, I built the buckets according to the instructions online and I have my garden in an area where it gets 9+ hours of sunshine year-round (wish our winters were warm enough for lettuces/spinach!!!)..

If there's anything I do that might give me a leg-up, it's that I tend my garden every single day. I prune constantly (very heavily in spring and early summer when the plants are growing vigorously and less so the rest of the season), tie the plants up, harvest when appropriate (or even slightly early) and provide the right amount of water and sunshine. Otherwise, I don't do much else that normal gardeners wouldn't do.

I just love sharing the experience with everyone. I've learned SO much over the past 3 years and learn something new almost every day. I think I've pretty much found what works for me and my garden, but there's always something that can be improved/changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I can't wait to see what you do, phone! The best part about being in your new place is that you can do whatever you want!!! I look forward to hearing all about it!
I know right ? I'm chomping at the bit LOL 23 days and counting and I'm all ready and waiting for the movers LOL ...yeah I know it is only across town but hey I'm too old to move furniture LOL ...oh yeah got a jump start on my fall beans and squash in the buckets .
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1442237549 the ones in the black pot are lemon tree seedlings . if you want a lemon tree I can tell you how to do it . and you can grow miniature ones in 5 gallon buckets .

Last edited by phonelady61; 10-20-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Nick, is that aluminum foil you have other some of the containers and if so, why?
Hey Nita! An Earthbox comes with a "mulch cover" that is basically a cheap plastic film that covers the soil in the Earthbox (you actually get two). One side is black and one side is white - I use the black side to help keep the soil warmer, but folks in the southern U.S. or areas where it gets much hotter would probably want to use the white side. There is an elastic band around the perimeter of the cover that helps it fit snugly over the edges of the Earthbox. I tend to also use small binder clips on covers that have lost their elasticity. I figure I can get two seasons from each cover if I am careful. The purpose of the cover is to keep the soil moist and reduce evaporation. It is very effective - the soil in my Earthboxes from last season were still moist when I set my spring garden up this season (a period of about 5 months).

What you're seeing on the buckets are cheap plastic shower caps that I purchased from Walmart for $.94 (bag of 15). I just stretch them over the top of the buckets and secure with small binder clips. Once I've planted, I then go back and cover the plastic with box tape because it is incredibly thin and will be destroyed easily by sun, wind, hail, etc. The box tape holds all summer. Same idea as the Earthbox, only homemade instead of factory made.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Hey Nita! An Earthbox comes with a "mulch cover" that is basically a cheap plastic film that covers the soil in the Earthbox (you actually get two). One side is black and one side is white - I use the black side to help keep the soil warmer, but folks in the southern U.S. or areas where it gets much hotter would probably want to use the white side. There is an elastic band around the perimeter of the cover that helps it fit snugly over the edges of the Earthbox. I tend to also use small binder clips on covers that have lost their elasticity. I figure I can get two seasons from each cover if I am careful. The purpose of the cover is to keep the soil moist and reduce evaporation. It is very effective - the soil in my Earthboxes from last season were still moist when I set my spring garden up this season (a period of about 5 months).

What you're seeing on the buckets are cheap plastic shower caps that I purchased from Walmart for $.94 (bag of 15). I just stretch them over the top of the buckets and secure with small binder clips. Once I've planted, I then go back and cover the plastic with box tape because it is incredibly thin and will be destroyed easily by sun, wind, hail, etc. The box tape holds all summer. Same idea as the Earthbox, only homemade instead of factory made.
thanks, that makes sense; I was wondering why you used aluminum foil?

Old 09-14-2015, 07:16 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Non, I love the trug, too! I wish it were a bit more sturdy - I usually have to carry it like a dog when it's totally full because there's no way the handles would support it. It's a perfect size, though, and has now made it through two full seasons. I would be I'll get another few out of it before it starts to fall apart as long as I am thoughtful about how much I put in it.

Tomato plants (and peppers) often surprise me this time of year. I have several plants suffering from blight or some other disease, but they've been sending out new growth over the past two weeks or so that is gorgeous and totally disease-free. If the plants can survive through the disease of the summer, I usually see lots of new growth in September. Of course, the problem with that is that I won't get any new tomatoes from it, but I still let them do their thing. Why not? I've got nothing to lose.

Wow, I'm impressed you're still getting beans. They're usually done by this time, aren't they?

I never got around to planting a fall garden this year, so I will have to wait for spring to plant my radishes and lettuce. Poor planning (and other life events) made a fall garden impractical this season. I do, however, plan to grow lettuce and pak choy under my lights all winter, along with a couple of micro tomato plants.

Well, the beans are petering out, it seems.

The tomatoes are getting bigger every day, which is exciting. So are the carrots! I don't think I'd have done any of this if not for your question 'What are you planting for your fall garden?'

The bok choi has two little seedlings poking up. I started some radishes, because why not?

What else...hmmm, started a pot of lettuce, and we just dumped our two potato bags for this rather pathetic harvest:

And yes. That is a wire trug. And it is pink.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Well we were expecting rain last night but mom nature had other ideas so I went out this morning to water and try to save my tomatoes. I am sure they are fine, just hope they start to ripen before long. They are not going to be huge: just a lot of them. What a strange summer. I have decided part of my container garden problems have more to do with the summer than my lack of skill. I did pick enough okra for a couple of meals and have a lot left; My cukes are still producing and low and behold I picked enough green beans for dinner tonight. we haven't had a bean in 2 months or so; I was shocked. The only thing, other than my damn squash that did awful were the pepppers. It still isn't a prize garden and never will be, but I am finishing the summer with a smile at least. Now it is getting close to be thinking of clean up time. Another year is just around the corner.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:34 PM

It's been an odd weather year all around.

We had a mini-harvest today, too, complete with a Black Krim tomato:

Old 09-20-2015, 04:12 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
nice black krim tomato really nice .

Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
nice black krim tomato really nice .
Thanks! They ended up being my favorites, and are still producing. With the weather turning cold, I hope more of them get a shot at ripening.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:06 AM

Probably the last of our harvest, apart from the carrots, beets and greens:

The carrots did so much better than the potatoes that we'll definitely try them again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden