U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:40 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I've seen some videos on Youtube of people who start seeds in all kinds of different media, but to grow them consistently and through maturity, I would think you'd need a mix of some kind unless you're planning to go the hydroponic route. Way too ambitious for me right now, but maybe a fun project for another year.

I do start most of my seeds on a heat mat in total darkness; placing the flats under grow lights once a few of the seedlings have emerged. The only thing that hasn't come up within 4 days is the rosemary.. that darn rosemary. Everyone's challenge, it seems..

Maybe someone else has ideas..
just started my herbs this morning. I will be anxious to see what happens. I dont have them on a heat mat though. I have them in the laundry room which is usually pretty warm. I have them covered as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 10:16 AM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
Quote:
I bought seeds for nasturtiums! I have never seen them in person or tasted them, but I hear wonderful things about them.. what are your thoughts?

they are really pretty flowers and they are good insect control as well and they are good to be around your tomatoes ....I don't and would not eat them .

Old 02-14-2015, 02:45 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,770,456 times
Okay...

I have micro-greens going on a kitchen sponge...celery and Romaine ends in gravel and water...scallion ends in marbles and water. And regular sprouts in a jar. You could call this semi-hydroponic.

If any of this survives, pictures will come.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:57 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just started my herbs this morning. I will be anxious to see what happens. I dont have them on a heat mat though. I have them in the laundry room which is usually pretty warm. I have them covered as well.
What herbs did you end up planting? Remember to get them into a good source of light once the first seedlings emerge, even if others haven't. The others will catch up very quickly, I've learned. The laundry room seems a popular place to start seeds, so I think you made a wise decision.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
they are really pretty flowers and they are good insect control as well and they are good to be around your tomatoes ....I don't and would not eat them .
Interesting. They are an edible flower and I hear they taste like radish, which is one of my all-time faves. I plan to put them in my front flower bed, which my partner has generously allowed me to fill with 100% edibles this season. Since our neighbors all look forward to our annual flower display, I figure nasturtiums will do the trick, plus I can eat them if I want to. They'll be inter-planted with peppers, onions and garlic.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Okay...

I have micro-greens going on a kitchen sponge...celery and Romaine ends in gravel and water...scallion ends in marbles and water. And regular sprouts in a jar. You could call this semi-hydroponic.

If any of this survives, pictures will come.
Non! You are very brave and adventurous - I LOVE it!! I'm "rooting" for ya! LoL. Cheesy, I know, but us gardening folk are a whole different breed, aren't we?!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:01 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Quote:
Tarragon - great question! All of these will be new to me! I will be posting progress all season long (which will run through October). Check back for weekly updates. Obviously, I won't be eating tomatoes here until at least mid-July, probably a bit later.. but once they start producing, I expect an abundance! I think our intense summer sun here at a mile high has something to do with it..

phonelady, that's good to hear because I have seeds for Giant Belgium, I'm just not growing it this season. I went kind of crazy and purchased seeds for 82 varieties of tomato. Friends and family are growing another 20 or so varieties in addition to my 23. I'm the type that goes over the top when I fall in love with something.
Holy crap! You purchased seeds for 82 varieties of tomato!? LOL Go NICK! Hahahaha. BTW, I checked out your 2014 pics. Nice going! Thank you so much for sharing with others, that you CAN grow your own food, without having a traditional garden. :-) Geez, and I thought I was pushing it with 4 varieties of tomato.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
What herbs did you end up planting? Remember to get them into a good source of light once the first seedlings emerge, even if others haven't. The others will catch up very quickly, I've learned. The laundry room seems a popular place to start seeds, so I think you made a wise decision.
I went with cilantro (which I have never had luck with) lemon basil, garlic chives and dill. The laundry room is very light and have flourescent (spelling) lights as well. I will let you know how they do.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 AM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
im going with six varietys and im hoping to get a good crop from them ...beachmel I hope you get a good crop out of those 4 varietys ..

Old 02-15-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Holy crap! You purchased seeds for 82 varieties of tomato!? LOL Go NICK! Hahahaha. BTW, I checked out your 2014 pics. Nice going! Thank you so much for sharing with others, that you CAN grow your own food, without having a traditional garden. :-) Geez, and I thought I was pushing it with 4 varieties of tomato.
*sigh* I know, I'm a bit nuts. Several coworkers threatened an intervention, but my enthusiasm/obsession won them over on the soft end of the spectrum, so they've spared me for now.

I've actually reduced the number of tomatoes I'm growing to 18, although it'll probably be 19 because I'm cutting out a squash plant in favor of another determinate tomato. Whether that pans out is yet to be seen, but it's likely at this point.

Btw, thank you for the nice compliments, beach! It certainly is possible to have a fabulous and abundant garden in containers if one is so inclined! I think you should add 2 more plants. Maybe 4 more. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or