Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:37 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times

Advertisements

We have two palm trees and I really want them gone. I'm not a big fan of those. They were planted in the mid 1990s.

I envy my neigbours who have eucalyptus and pine trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
Pine, Oak, Maple, Palm, Golden Rain, Ficus Bejamina, Ligustrum, Bottle Brush.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Showoff
I admit to being addicted to plants. my oldest right now is my Japanese bonsai I got in 1983. I have over 350 potted plants around the yard in all sizes. I had a lot of plants when I lived in Berkeley and after the 1991 fire in the hills took out the 9 yards that I maintained, I was without work and a friend offered me the use of her cabin in the woods up here. I brought a lot of my plants with me and proceeded to start seedlings of different trees that I was going to plant when we got some acreage. It did not work living up in the woods and my spouse needed to be close to a health facility and we bought a house on 4/10 of an acre here in northern Humboldt. I brought many of my trees, but they were in 2 to 5 gallon pots in 2000 and now some have grown to be quite large, but now in large pots or barrels. I also maintain yards for a living, 27 as of now, and for some reason my clients think that I might want trees A client last year handed me a box of 17 native trees from the Arbhor day society and I asked her what she wanted me to do with them. She said to plant them, I asked where since her yard is not that big, she said where ever but not on her property, that they were for me to find homes for. . So I brought them home and over the first winter, only five died, my luck or green thumbs and a short week of freezing temperatures, some how 12 made it and then this year a client hands me a box, dang it, I knew that box for sure, Yep, inside this time were 12 tiny bare root native trees. But it is not all for naught, our county tore our all of our hedges and put in sidewalks this year, they created an island for plants and want it planted with native plants, but cannot afford to landscape it and I asked them if I can with the plants that I have. But I know me, I will then have empty pots and get some cuttings and off I am again with trees, trees and some more trees. I already have 23 bonsai'd

Old 01-24-2015, 07:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taajsgpm View Post
Do you have all those in your yard ?
Yes, but my yard is 4 acres. I'm slowly converting some of my lawn area back to forest. My backyard was already partially wooded, and I've been adding to it.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
I have more acres than trees but I have Gleditsia triacanthos, Ulmus parviflora and Chilopsis lineari.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:05 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,518 times
well, if you consider only inside the front fenced portion immediately adjacent to the house not that much (???)---snow gum/ eucalyptus gregsoniana, Mexican evergreen hawthorn/crataegus mexicana, Chilean myrtle/luma apiculata, willow leaf Chilean podocarp/podocarpus saligna, Chilean elm/eucryphia "mt. usher", magnolia "star wars", magnolia "legacy", hoheria "snow flurry", paperbark maple/acer griseum, michelia x foggii, camellia reticulata, viburnum awabuki "chindo", Chinese avocado/machilus (persea) "ulmoides"---and lots and lots more lurking just outside the fence trying to get in, LOL. apparently, like quite a few of the other posters I have a mini (or not so mini) forest forming in my front yard!!!

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-25-2015 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: add more info.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:58 AM

336 posts, read 574,966 times
Red oak,Golden rain tree,Austrian Pine,Amur maple,River birch,Paperbark birch,Serviceberry,Redbud,Black walnut,Elm,Buckeye.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
In the ground, we have 100' firs, Hemlock, Western Redcedar, Vine Maple, Big Leaf Maple, Aspens, Liquidamber, Apples and Pears. I also have a collection of about 75 bonsai trees in pots, as old as 150 years.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:08 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
I have:
evil, invasive siberian elm
silver maple
evil, invasive norway maple
mulberry
pawpaw
white pine
loblolly pine
sycamore
some sort of oak
box elder
black locust
ornamental cherry
crabapple
asian pear
peach
ilex opaca
black walnut
crape myrtle
fig
cladrastis lutea
dogwood
serviceberry
arborvitae

There is also a big NOID tree with seeds kind of like a maple's but pointy, like big flat needles. I may post a picture one day to try to get an id.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 PM

356 posts, read 365,340 times
I want to have an herb garden once I get a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden