U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 AM

800 posts, read 558,143 times

Advertisements

I have a small acreage outside of Dallas,TX and thinking about planting a small vineyard. What variety of grapes would you recommend? Is it even possible to grow grapes in the Dallas area? Summers are hot and long, winters are mostly mild with short periods of somewhat cold weather?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 09:35 AM

14,583 posts, read 6,710,139 times
Do you live on the acreage? And would these be vinifera (wine) grapes? There are several vineyards in Denton, Dallas, Collin (northwest of McKinney), and Tarrant counties growing chardonnay, tempranillo, cabernet sauvignon, and palomino, among others.

If you want some information, and some excellent wine, visit Inwood Estates. Behind the Hilton Anatole off I-35E, they have an urban winery there but source their grapes from their vineyard in Dallas County. I was there two weeks ago (only open Saturdays) and talked at length with the winemaker. Further north near Saint Jo are two more vineyards/wineries, Arche and Blue Ostrich, great tempranillos. And up 287 near Decatur is Brushy Creek, the winemaker there has tested a lot of different grapes. DM me if you want more info. (I'm friends with quite a few TX and OK winemakers.)

Old 01-31-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Do you live on the acreage? And would these be vinifera (wine) grapes? There are several vineyards in Denton, Dallas, Collin (northwest of McKinney), and Tarrant counties growing chardonnay, tempranillo, cabernet sauvignon, and palomino, among others.

If you want some information, and some excellent wine, visit Inwood Estates. Behind the Hilton Anatole off I-35E, they have an urban winery there but source their grapes from their vineyard in Dallas County. I was there two weeks ago (only open Saturdays) and talked at length with the winemaker. Further north near Saint Jo are two more vineyards/wineries, Arche and Blue Ostrich, great tempranillos. And up 287 near Decatur is Brushy Creek, the winemaker there has tested a lot of different grapes. DM me if you want more info. (I'm friends with quite a few TX and OK winemakers.)
I do live on acreage, water is readily available. Thanks for the info, I'll definitely visit some these places. Right now I'm trying to find a nursery that sells vines. I'm not necessarily looking for wine grapes but it could be an option. Thanks again!

Old 01-31-2015, 01:28 PM

In Mount Vernon in October at the Wines in the Pines event, there was someone selling wine grapes. You need a lot to grow wine grapes, it's a labor of love. My sister works at a winery in CA and the dreaded time is pruning season.

See Texas Wine and Grape Growers Association - for wine grape details and links for the Texas region.

As for table grapes, not sure what grows. Concord and Catawba, maybe. Mustang grapes grew wild in the DFW area, hence the name of the town by the airport, Grapevine. Muscadines may need more humidity, are an acquired taste (I like them).

Read up on Pierce's Disease... it can wipe out a vineyard in a couple of years, and is a real problem in Temecula where my sister lives. Residential vineyards are especially susceptible due to proximity to host plants, such as oleander, oak, and magnolias. Really cold weather can be a help, kills the transmitting insects, one of the reasons the Lubbock area has so many vineyards. Muscadines are resistant to Pierce's. A good primer from A&M:

https://winegrapes.tamu.edu/grow/tablegrapes.html

Last edited by SluggoF16; 01-31-2015 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 06:18 PM

Any nurseries/vineyards around Dallas-F/Worth that sell vines for planting? So far I found a number of wineries but they don't seem to sell their plants.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,617,164 times
My son-in-law has a small vineyard in Oklahoma. I know he spends a lot of time working in it. They don't live nearby and I think deer are a big problem. There are quite a few vineyards in Oklahoma and some wineries. It seems to be something in which a lot of people have an interest.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My son-in-law has a small vineyard in Oklahoma. I know he spends a lot of time working in it. They don't live nearby and I think deer are a big problem. There are quite a few vineyards in Oklahoma and some wineries. It seems to be something in which a lot of people have an interest.
There is a winery/vineyard (Native Spirits) east of Norman that has quite the deer problem. A friend of mine from the Air Force retired near Stroud and had a merlot and sauvignon blanc vineyard, with a similar deer issue; the winter of 2011 and the OK alcohol laws drove him out of the business.

To the OP: Delaney Vineyards grows Cynthiana (aka Norton) right off 183 near Hurst. Cynthiana is readily available at a number of Arkansas nurseries. I don't know of any growers in the Metroplex, most are in the Lubbock area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or