Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 07:24 AM

221 posts, read 598,592 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me advice on the best time and place to plant my hydrangea I bought at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago? They are really sprouting foliage now and look like they are pleading with me to get them in the ground. I can't wait...I've always loved them but have never had any. My front yard gets filtered light in the summer. It's hot as hades here in the summer and thankfully we have a lot of trees. Just a little bit of information here...it's so hot my periwinkles thrive in my front flowerbed. Thanks everyone.

Oh yeah, by the way, has anyone ever heard of a Golden Rain Tree? I saw these around the perimeter of Opryland Hotel in Nashville. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 AM

604 posts, read 4,609,857 times
I've been investigating the rain tree here (does it have orange flowers in the fall?) it is planted outside my local library and the fall color is great. interested in what you find out about it!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
I would think the hydrangeas could go in right now, that's what I would do (I'm in zone 9A).

Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 PM

555 posts, read 2,204,431 times
The problem with Hydrangeas is that they need lots of water. They do prefer filtered light. Direct sun can burn the florets in hot climates. As long as you water them during the dry times, they should do fine.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 AM

57 posts, read 329,659 times
I live in zone 8b and have 7 hydrageas. It gets very hot here in the summer. Out of the 7 I have planted, one has done well. It's planted in the corner of the porch/house under a live oak tree which give it filtered light. On the south-east side of the house. I give it plenty of water because it is right in a flower bed that gets more water than the plants further out. Oh...my hydrangeas don't do well in the same spot as the periwinkles..it's too hot. I would go ahead and plant one at my house now but watch out for those late freezes...throw a sheet over it if you think it's going to freeze again this winter/spring.

The golden rain tree is beautiful to me but can be invasive in warm climates. (Much like a Mimosa tree.) They have clusters of yellow flowers in the fall. It can grow to something like 30' and will get just as wide. It likes sun & regular water until established but can tolerate drought after that.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,368,358 times
NE side of the house. They will look sad by July, but suddenly rebloom in October. I'm zone 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden