U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 AM

97 posts, read 80,836 times

Advertisements

hi everyone...i need help in finding indoor plants that can last for a long time, do not need a lot of care and not a lot of sun (no much sunlight in winter here in pa)..can i find them online (would be better).. thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM

15,561 posts, read 9,588,275 times
my sanservia is about 20 yrs old. well, sort of. I divide it every 3 yrs or so. It's also called snake plant and mother in laws tongue. There's 2 kinds-one grows abut 3 ft, the other considerably shorter.

spider plants fit that description-they like to hang tho.

And swedish ivy, a vine-oh, and pathos,

and I live in PA too so if I can grow them, they must like PA.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:55 PM

97 posts, read 80,836 times
thanks PAhippo

wow they live that long...

I will see if these plants are available in my local stores..

Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Right after my wife and I got married in 1974, we bought our first houseplant, the common heart-leaf philodendron (Philodendron hederaceum). It's still thriving in the same pot, over 40 years later. We have cut it back at times and rooted the cuttings to produce new plants that we have given away but the original is perfectly happy in an area where it gets no sun as it has been in 4 homes in two states.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely person View Post
hi everyone...i need help in finding indoor plants that can last for a long time, do not need a lot of care and not a lot of sun (no much sunlight in winter here in pa)..can i find them online (would be better).. thanks..
I'm a Jade plant lover myself. There is something about this plant that invokes serenity for me.
Very easy plant to take care of.

Sun exposure: Part Sun

Jade plants can grow to a height of 24 inches when indoors. They have a shrub-like form with thick branches and smooth, oval-shaped leaves. The plants are fairly resilient and easy to grow.

Planting
Grow in a single pot with an all-purpose soil blend.
Provide medium light daily for a few hours; keeping it in the kitchen or office is a great spot with just enough light.
The plant prefers room temperature in general, but slightly cooler in the winter (55 degrees F).
Care
Allow to dry between waterings, keeping the soil moderately dry.
If shedding or brown spots occur on the leaves, however, it is an indication the plant needs more water.
During the winter months you can water less, but do not let it over-dry.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:11 PM

9,266 posts, read 7,289,484 times
Prayer plant, aloe vera, look into succulents like cacti, hens & chicks, annd echeveria.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 AM

1 posts, read 809 times
I second the jade plant and any other thick leaf plant such as peperomia plants. There are a variegated perperomia, curly leaf as well as simple solid green leaf peperomia. The jade and peperomia require very little upkeep, can tolerate low light conditions and because they are thick leaved like a succulent seem to do just fine if you forget to water now and again. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...ocumentid=5862In fact, it is best to let them dry out a bit. Sweedish ivy is also good if you want a hanging plant but it can get leggy in low light.

In my experience, thin-leaved, or whispy plants like ferns, spider plants and zebra plants --are often inexpensive but dry out quickly and need delicate watering. Peperomia, jade and sweedish ivy are just a well priced but are more forgiving.

African violets are great when blooming but keep water off the leaves and remove spent blooms to keep it blooming. It requires special fertilizer and cannot tolerate chlorine tap water.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:24 AM

5 posts, read 3,167 times
Hi Lovely.................

If you are looking for the indoor plants that need less care and not lot of sunlight then you can plant "Areca Palm", "Peperomia", "Jade Plants" this types of indoor plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or