U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,915,647 times

Advertisements

Just thinking out of the box. When you are going to need water.

Locate on ground right next to a service station or convenience store. Those places drain off so much water from their refrigeration systems it is nearly unbelievable. I saw a gas station/convenience store that was only about 30 ft wide and 80 ft long and the coolers were putting out a constant stream of water from a 3/4 in. pipe. Located in Kansas City. Sure it won't work every where but rural locations abound. Or say next to a free standing grocery store with ground next to it. Might be a outlet for your produce.

YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,444 posts, read 50,681,531 times
Unfortunately, being next to a convenience store or service station also means being subjected to the high traffic with many people who will feel free to help themselves to your produce, or even possible hazardous waste in the ground.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,715,589 times
I noticed that the drain pipe for my home's a/c unit does drip alot when it's running during the summer. I haven't tried to catch that water yet but I would suspect constantly wet leaves from the condensate pipe would cause problems with fungus and diseases so I don't plan on planting anything under it. I might try to catch some of that water and perhaps channel it to a watering can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden