Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Got sun burned yesterday, today is cloudy so finished everything. One of the Warmest starts to May in the Northeast since 1800s

The one on the left is from Italy. Apparently it's gone root crazy. Last year didn't do to well overall. I wonder if it's just not used to our climate here? It is the tallest as well.

In honor of the NHL Playoffs... Cup Crazy!

The other bed. Now we sit and wait.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Another summer day here. Worst of the year with the dewpoints.

Typically I grab the hose and start spraying in the air and let it rain down on them.. Not when they/re this young!! The drops that sit on the young plants leaves will burn in the direct sun like a magnify glass! So its best to water with a can from the bottom

Its sad that I "need" to water everyday. THATS A SUMMER PATTERN, NOT EARLY MAY!!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:28 PM

Just insane. Warmest 1st half of May on record. Another day of 80s. I'm not supposed to be watering everyday in May!!!! Normal is upper 60s around 70. Gees.

Here's a Top view of the beds.

End of April I was screaming for folks to get their plants ready... Glad I did. Weather models were right 2 weeks out.

Plants all doing well so far.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
Just beautiful, Cam!! It's amazing how quickly the weather has changed for you guys! From huge snow piles in city street to weeks of mild weather allowing you to plant a tad early!

Ours switched, too, from record warmth to cold and rainy/snowy (not record cold, but record moisture). I will not plan to plant out until Memorial Day weekend with the current forecast of 60s/70s during the day and 40s at night. We just had 3 nights at or below 34 degrees. Ughh! Oh well, it doesn't pay to rush things when I've spent the past 4 months getting everything ready. It certainly is a test of patience.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Just beautiful, Cam!! It's amazing how quickly the weather has changed for you guys! From huge snow piles in city street to weeks of mild weather allowing you to plant a tad early!

Ours switched, too, from record warmth to cold and rainy/snowy (not record cold, but record moisture).
Yup.. the Jet stream buckled in the West and that in turn sent a ridge in the East which is torching us. Break after today finally.

These pictures I took sums it up. Winter to Summer.

Merritt Parkway last week vs this week.

Naugatuck River in Beacon Falls. 2 weeks ago vs yesterday

Old 05-13-2015, 04:11 PM

It's staking time... Well, just some since it's not urgent right yet.

Potatoes doing well although Im pissed I didn't do more. I harvested 200 Potatoes last year. This year I put them in a smaller area. :-(

From Flower to Fruit. Pepper already?? Complete 180 from last year when they weren't even growing.
Warmest start to May for many areas. Bridgeport was 2nd warmest.

Steak Sandwich Tomato

Don't forget to take the bottom leaves off so the dirt doesn't splash up with the rains

Old 05-15-2015, 01:39 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Cambium, I love looking at your garden photos. I can't wait to see more.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:53 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I garden vicarouisly through you guys until I get outside space I wont do tomatoes or anything . your garden looks beautiful camb.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Cambium, I love looking at your garden photos. I can't wait to see more.
Thanks! I appreciate that. Having a better year than last year and it's fun to look back. Will have a mid month update today or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I garden vicarouisly through you guys until I get outside space I wont do tomatoes or anything . your garden looks beautiful camb.
Thanks! Sometimes I feel I need to make it look "prettier" with stones, mulch or decorations... then I remember in just 4 months its all done. Screw it. LOL

Wonder why wont you do Tomatoes, they are one of the easiest to grow.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:48 AM

Pics from just now.

Onions.

Notice the cardboard doing its job holding weeds down. Borders weren't tilled, would of been ton of weeds and grass by now.

Fava Beans

Cucumbers waiting to climb my homemade trellis

Garlic and Radishes nearby. I heard Radish repels Beetles so a must plant near Cukes

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden