U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 AM

13,107 posts, read 17,646,574 times

Advertisements

well Im trying small tomatoes again you all will be happy to know ..hopefully this time will be better thanks and good growing cambium ...Love the pics and yeah keep your eye on bugs bunny there cause he might have ideas LOL ...Please don't poison him though because some of my neighbors used to do that and I used to get so mad and I would be out there cussing and crying and my husband knew to leave me alone because when I get to crying I am really mad and there was just no sense in poisoning them at all you know ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:26 PM

64,993 posts, read 47,321,826 times
May 30, 2015.

This Month.. Summary... DRY & WARM!

Pulled some weeds in the hot sun today with a perfect breeze of 15mph. 84F and partly muggy

Radish

most tomatoes have the blooms on them...this one is ahead of the rest.

Those fuzzys on the stem are roots. That's why you can bury tomato plants very deep. they will get stronger. Just take the bottom stem/leaves off.

Hot peppers are doing very well in their pots. Ahead of past couple yrs. Perfect

Another hot pepper

Bell Peppers in ground coming in nice.

My homemade Cucumber Trellis setup

Yes, that's a snowflake on my snow measuring thing.. Keeps me cool when I pull weeds. lol

Old 05-31-2015, 10:42 AM

My first harvest of 2015.. And I don't even like Radish. Lol

Old 06-01-2015, 08:13 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,139,307 times
Beautiful peppers and radishes, Cam! Interestingly, I find radishes to be the most finicky of the plants I grow each season - even though they're supposedly the easiest crop to grow. Sometimes they do great (even fantastic) and sometimes they're foot-long leaves and nothing more than a tap root. My white icicle failed me 3 different times last season and this season they were AMAZING. My globe radishes did great last season and didn't form anything this season.

Anything else getting close to harvest?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 AM

Update: June 4:

We had 3 straight days of rain and made up for lost time. (Always happens) Almost 4 inches of rain so the garden, landscape and trees got a good deep drink.

Problem is... We haven't been in the 70s for few days now. So everything is slow to grow. No 80s till next week.

So we went from Driest & Warmest May to Wettest and Coolest in past few days.

Here's some stuff this morning... Keeping pics smaller this time

All Tomato plants have blooms on them. Some are fruiting. Campari and Farmstand.

Exciting! Mmmm. Pickle time soon.

Onions

I like my herbs in pots. Easy to get to on the deck

A test? I added Straw to the 2 rows of Tomatoes on right. We'll see which rows do better or same

From Left to right. Fava Beans, Eggplants, Bell Peppers, Onions, potatoes. String Beans in back. Eggplants NEED HEAT NOW. They are so picky!!

Overall look at the 2 Beds

Old 06-04-2015, 06:07 AM

Thanks to the record warm but dry May everything got a head start. I'd rather have a warm start and a cool Summer then a cold start and a warm summer. Beginning is very important.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:00 AM

You have such a beautiful garden, Cam! I agree with you on warm start first. Those tomatoes look amazing. Think you'll have ripe ones by month's end? When do your tomatoes typically ripen in earnest? Even with hot weather here, it's rarely before late July before we get anything ripe as far as tomatoes go. We might get lucky with the grape and cherry varieties, but August is usually when it ramps into full production and then goes nuts through frost.

Keep the updates comin'! Lookin' good!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 AM

June 8, 2015

With June acting like April (cool and wet) everything slowed down considerably except the herbs and cool weather crops. Peppers, Eggplants, Cucumbers, Onions have slowed in growth.

-Coldest first week of June on record for the area-(since 1940s)

At least May gave them a nice boost! Tomatoes are doing Excellent!

Here are some Pepper pics for today. We had rain 8 out of last 13 days. 5 out of last 9

Hungarian Wax

Dr Martin Carrot Red

Pretty Purple

Sweet Bell Pepper

Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Peppers look ready to pick soon, Cam! Lookin' good! It looks like we're sharing the rain now instead of one of us hogging it all! At least we're not getting entire days full of rain - just torrential downpours here and there. The weather this year just absolutely can NOT make up its mind once and for all!

I see the long range is calling for much warmer weather for you! Your tomatoes and peppers will explode! Can't wait to see what they look like in a week!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Peppers look ready to pick soon, Cam! Lookin' good!
Thanks. I usually let the peppers stay on the plant until they turn colors. Gets them hotter and looks pretty too. But yeah, edible any time. I already cheated and ate a couple of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden