U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 PM

64,991 posts, read 47,303,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Unbelievable the winter you guys have had!! What is the long range forecast calling for? When do you think you'll actually be able to get out and start working the soil? It appears you will have a lot of work to get done quickly once the warm weather does finally come!
Struggle past 30s this weekend. More 40s and maybe 50s next week. Only 4 days of 50s this month. Normal is 11! How is the soil supposed to warm up? Its nuts.

Big rain or snow storm Easter Weekend we're watching now. More snow? We do get snow in April so its not rare.

I'm thinking mid April for any prep work. VERY late even though transplant is mid May which I doubt as well. Soil will still be cold.

Here's my backyard..

Here's neighbors yard... 62 straight days with snow. Elevation 250' 10 minutes from the coast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:17 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,723 times
Yuck!! I agree you will be late in getting the ground tilled - mid-May is seeming a distant prayer at this point for planting. However, once the snow melts off and the weather warms, the grass and trees and garden should be ultra lush and beautiful, even if it is later than usual! I love spring snow as long as it doesn't come with bitter cold (teens or colder). The trees and grass and everything else really gets a boost from a good heavy, wet spring snow.

Are the trees even budding yet? Ours are budding profusely and are about two weeks ahead of schedule. I fully expect my Newport plums to be in full blossom in the next 3-4 weeks (usually doesn't happen until early May).

Hang in there, Cam! Winter won't last forever!!

Old 03-27-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post

Are the trees even budding yet?

Hang in there, Cam! Winter won't last forever!!
Budding? Nope... last year was 1-2 weeks late. What's this year going to be? 2-3?

I don't want it to end. Winter was only 2 months here. Seasons should be 3 months.

I need more snow and cold! People complaining about 2 months of snow and cold need to move out. This is New England. 2 out of 12 months is nothing!

Technically 1 month of winter (February) and 1 cold snowy spring month (March).
It all started after January 24th.

Heavy rain last 12hrs has ruined the snowpack everywhere here. only piles left now and some scattered snow cover spots.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:39 AM

Can anyone tell how deep the snowpack was for a prolonged period & how cold it was here?

"Cold hardy" Holly tree that got cold burns above the snowpack. Funny to see berries still at the bottom which the wildlife are getting at it now. Rabbits and birds had to take it from above the snow before.

Rain is done. 0.75" Cold front coming through... While my neighbor still has snow... Mine is down to piles and shaded snow. AND...........There's my garden bed! About time. Soil still frozen though. Strange

Everyone loves comparisons...Last year at this time I was tilling the soil as usually do. This year soil frozen still

Old 03-27-2015, 01:27 PM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
wow I do feel for you . I am doing all container gardening this year inside in my sun room cause I have an apt and have no outside space so had to do sun room /container . I am also setting up my shop lights this weekend so they can have what they need and I don't have to depend on the sun shinning through the windows to make them grow . Oh well take care and I hope you are out there soon.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,832,251 times
Man, you guys have some great gardens. We are thinking about starting a raised bed. I wish you all lived near me so you could buy the vertical planters I've been building for people. I delivered this one to a woman who has run out of room, but she wants to grow some herbs. The boxes are 3 ft long.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 833,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Pots? This is what my pots look like.. lol. Low 40s and March sun not even warming them up. And yeah, definitely don't want to lug them in and out.

I only use pots for herbs because experience showed me pots will do better at first but wont last as long as in ground planting.

I don't see a warmup either... just 1-2 day pops. Teens tonight, struggling past 30s today and tomorrow.

I keep waking up thinking I'll be able to till the vegetable garden at least.. Nope..not yet.. and its April next week.

4" snowpack. Never fully lost all the snow. Was down to 1.5" on 3/20.

Is the bottom pic your back yard?

It was maybe 80* here today. Central Valley. Planted my flowers in the ground, lol, yesterday...sorry.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I delivered this one to a woman who has run out of room, but she wants to grow some herbs. The boxes are 3 ft long.
That is pretty cool. I might have to try that myself. Looking to dress up a little area better and that would fit in nicely. The short season doesn't motivate me to doing anything "different" though. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Is the bottom pic your back yard?

It was maybe 80* here today. Central Valley. Planted my flowers in the ground, lol, yesterday...sorry.
80? I don't even remember what 50s feels like for few hours with sun.
Yeah, that was my backyard last week. All gone now except piles but here's my neighbors house today.
66 straight days with snowcover. This is basically January snow still on the ground 2 days from April. RARE for here.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Here's my backyard today. Notice 2 things... The shovel AND The snow. lol

Soil not too frozen so I'll be tilling soon. Just crazy to even see piles still around.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:31 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,723 times
Quite the snow you've had there this season! Everything is going to explode once the warmth hits in earnest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden