U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,723 times

Advertisements

They look awesome, Cam! Your plants look ultra healthy! Are you using any kind of fertilizer or does the Jiffy have a bit already in it? The MG, as everyone knows, has a bit of slow release in it already, so I haven't fertilized at all yet. Plants doing fine, although I think they're getting old and big enough now that I should consider a weak solution here soon..

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:20 PM

64,983 posts, read 47,303,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
They look awesome, Cam! Your plants look ultra healthy! Are you using any kind of fertilizer or does the Jiffy have a bit already in it? The MG, as everyone knows, has a bit of slow release in it already, so I haven't fertilized at all yet. Plants doing fine, although I think they're getting old and big enough now that I should consider a weak solution here soon..

Any suggestions?
Nope, I don't use any fertilizer until they are at least 2-3 weeks+ in the red cups (about 2 months old). I used Organic potting soil for the cups. That has enough juice for them to survive the rest of time in them. You can sense when they are asking for something but most of the time they don't deplete the soil until the roots do the Merry Go Round more than twice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
are you going to have more tomatoes than you can eat ? LOL ....sure looks like it .
Yup. I give some away and I Jar them as well.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:25 PM

April 10. YET ANOTHER DAY IN THE 40s! Needing the heat inside. Just so weird. I have snow piles still around scattered about.

I may have missed the potato boat. I Never had to put them in the ground with the sprouts up already up. I just didn't get a chance to till the areas. They have to go in A.S.A.P! Last year my Potatoes were soooo awesome.

Last edited by Cambium; 04-10-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 02:38 PM

OMG they look like skinny crab legs. Kind of creepy. I haven't gotten on the potato growing boat yet - maybe next year. I hear home grown are absolutely delicious.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 AM

Potatoes are in the front bed. More in the back. I think I have less than last year. I remember harvesting over 200 of them. Lets see what happens.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:40 AM

205 posts, read 223,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Potatoes are in the front bed. More in the back. I think I have less than last year. I remember harvesting over 200 of them. Lets see what happens.
I like it! I only put in eight seeds, but that will be plenty for us. We have no way to store potatoes. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:13 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
Consider no till if you have nice built up soil. I'm trying it this year as the flower beds did a great seed test job last year that resulted in full surprise production. \\

Oh, and leave your potatoes in the ground and did as needed if your soil is a light loam/light red clay. Take the ones off the top first and below usually don't freeze in NC and other coastal sites.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 AM

April 13, 2015. Finally hit 60F at Bridgeport. Latest they had to wait since Karate Kid Part 1 came out (1984). At least a Spring pattern is in place now finally getting into the 50s and 60s more. Still dropping to 30s at night though.

Onions are in. 4 rows. 25 Onion sets in each. From Left to Right. Sweet, White, Yellow. Red.

Close-up of the Yellows. I didn't go deep because the soil around here sucks even though I tilled down 8 inches, the soil gets so compact past 4 inches. UGH!

I been amending it for 5 years. But I will build hills over them.

A semi test. I threw Organic compost on some of them to see if they grow better than the regular soil. Since the regular soil is clay and cement like, I wonder if the compost will keep it loose for the bulb to expand bigger in size.

Last year I had some amazing results with just top dressing the soil with compost. THIS IS A NEW LOCATION this year.

All covered up now. They are under the mounds.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Welcome to New England Soil. Trying to till the garden and you can see not only how compact the soil gets but how many friggin rocks I pull up each year.

Mind you this is the "edge" of the bed and I may not have tilled this area enough times yet but still.. Without amendments & compost the soil here is not good and looks depleted as well.

And no... I can't even go deeper then that.. I need a machine.

So it's time to sift.

4 Shovel Fulls...

Ends up with this many rocks.

I'm fine with the Pebbles, but when most of soil is just that, you know that cant be good. Each time you push a shovel down, you hit a rock. And after it rains and drys the soil looks like cement.

That soil underneath is sooooo awesome! Roots and Bulbs would thrive in that.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:27 AM

Looking good, Cam! Glad you're finally getting some decent weather to get out in the garden! Can't wait to see how your onions do! I hear they're virtually indestructible! Sucks you have to deal with all that rock, but the work you put into it certainly pays off in the end!

We're supposed to be in the mid-upper 70s today with tons of wind, then 40s tomorrow with the chance for a few inches of snow tomorrow/Thursday. It will be excellent moisture, so I am looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden