U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:14 PM

64,991 posts, read 47,321,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Looking good, Cam! Glad you're finally getting some decent weather to get out in the garden! Can't wait to see how your onions do! I hear they're virtually indestructible! Sucks you have to deal with all that rock, but the work you put into it certainly pays off in the end!

We're supposed to be in the mid-upper 70s today with tons of wind, then 40s tomorrow with the chance for a few inches of snow tomorrow/Thursday. It will be excellent moisture, so I am looking forward to it.
Thanks. Yeah, that's one thing that was awesome with the record breaking snowpack length.. soil didn't dry out much below surface.

Went to a local Horse Farm in Stamford, CT for one thing... More pics here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:34 PM

205 posts, read 223,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks. Yeah, that's one thing that was awesome with the record breaking snowpack length.. soil didn't dry out much below surface.

Wow. I should have something like that near me, but is never even thought about looking. Cool pics Cambium!

Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 AM

This mornings project.

Worked well for 2 yrs. Cardboard underneath the walking path. Holds weeds down(less work in the sun!) and bio degradable.

You can add mulch to hide the cardboard. I don't care, just put a little dirt and that's it. Don't need to be "pretty".

Done.

In front and on the left are the piles of rocks I took out when I tilled... same every single year. Some big ones too.

This is one Bed.
Onions at the Top.
Garlic Bottom Left.

Will have Radish, Beets and Tomatoes and Cucumbers in this one.

This is the other.

Potatoes on the right.

Will have Bell Peppers, Eggplants, Fava, String Beans, Kale, Spinach, Beets in this one.

Now we sit and wait for weather to cooperate. Beautiful Warm Sunny Spring day today. Today will be 5 days in a row in the 60s .

Old 04-16-2015, 11:03 AM

And here are the little ones inside.

If you don't have a light over seedlings, don't even bother IMO.

Tomatoes

Bell and hot Peppers

The "just in case" seedlings. Planted these March 30th (looks like too late to do so in my area) They'll be tiny in 4 weeks when they can go out. Mid March seems perfect.

Funny story with those tomato seedlings from March 30. I didn't realize they emerged after 5 days and so they weren't near a light source. When I realized it the next day they were so leggy. Didn't think they perk and thicken up.

They'll go deep when I transplant to cup soon.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 AM

4/23/15: Normal April so far. 8 out of 10 days been above normal making up for below normal beginning of April. 3.58" of rain this month. Cold snap now for 5 days. 30s at night, 50s in day

Yesterday planted in ground:

Dill
Fennel
Carrots
Kale
Spinach
Lettuce
Lavender
Swiss Chard
Anise

Today tested soil in 3 different spots. Top row are the PH from the 3 spots. Bottom is the Fertility.

So Top left and Bottom left is 1 spot.
Middle is the next
Top right and bottom right is the 3rd spot

PH is beautiful. I'm good with that. I was about to add lime, IM GLAD I DIDNT before I tested it. It would of raised the PH.

Fertility sucks so I will have to fertilize. Something compost should take care of.

Out of curiosity I had a pot of compost only... There you go. Ideal fertility and will lower the PH just a tad which would still be fine for the veggies.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Todays pics. My they grow so fast!!

In 1 week we start the harden off process. In 2 weeks they go in ground outside. A bit earlier then norm(mid May) but we'll see

Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 AM

380 posts, read 284,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Reading your posts has been very interesting and informative. Thank you!
A quick heads up (I am sure you already know this, but a reminder or information bit for others): Be careful about where you get your manure from. If the animals were fed herbicide-laden hay or feed, much of that herbicide has been known to stay in its chemical composition all the way to the manure stage and has killed people's vegetable garden when used as fertilizer, added to compost, or used as mulch. So know your source.
Happy gardening, everyone!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:36 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,139,307 times
Awesome photos and progression, Cam! You'll be hardening off before I will (week of May 11). I've been meaning to get back to some of your posts (and mine), but the ol' pup was just diagnosed with diabetes so we've been busy with that for the past few days.. poor fella. On the plus side, modern medicine and our loving home will ensure he lives the rest of his life just as he has for the past 11 years.

Your tomatoes look amazing! How many plants in total are you growing this season? How many peppers? Do you top your pepper plants? Have you ever tried it? I topped all of mine after seeing dozens of videos on YT. It's kind of amazing what happens and how quickly it happens. I was going to compare a topped one with a non-topped one, but I just couldn't help myself and whacked 'em all.

Anyhow, can't wait to see how your cool season crops do over the next few weeks! My peas and chard have yet to germinate, but the greens and radishes are coming along nicely.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:44 AM

2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
Quote:
Awesome photos and progression, Cam! You'll be hardening off before I will (week of May 11). I've been meaning to get back to some of your posts (and mine), but the ol' pup was just diagnosed with diabetes so we've been busy with that for the past few days.. poor fella. On the plus side, modern medicine and our loving home will ensure he lives the rest of his life just as he has for the past 11 years.
Ours was diagnosed with the same thing eight months back. With the exception of her going totally blind from it, she is still the amazing dog she was before the diabetes. Good thoughts for you and your doggie NickMan.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
Reading your posts has been very interesting and informative. Thank you!
A quick heads up (I am sure you already know this, but a reminder or information bit for others): Be careful about where you get your manure from.
Yup, I make sure I get the aged/rotted pile and I know the folks at the farm take care of them with the good stuff.

Quote:
Awesome photos and progression, Cam! You'll be hardening off before I will (week of May 11).
Thanks, for some reason I thought you had everything outside already but sounds like I caught up to you now. Joys of coastal living I guess.

Sorry about your pups.. Mine is going to be 12yrs in a few months and still going strong (Pure Bred Lab Retriever). Her mom lived to 15. She does have arthritis so it sucks that she cant do her favorite thing anymore. Hike, swim and chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden