U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 05:33 AM

64,982 posts, read 47,284,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
How many plants in total are you growing this season? How many peppers? Do you top your pepper plants? Have you ever tried it?
Havent counted the Peppers yet.. Never topped them off. Have to look into that. I've had success without touching the plants but always looking to learn!

Tomatoes:: Growing

Heritage: 14
Steak Sandwich: 11
Cuor Di Bue: 10
Ace 55: 8
Porterhouse: 7
Campari: 7
Brandy Boy: 6
Early Treat Hybrid: 5
Roma: 5
Homestead: 5
Farmstand: 4
Sweet 100 Cherry: 4
Tasty Treat Cherry: 4
Cherokee Purple: 1
Best Boy: 1

92. Will keep 50. Give away rest to friends, family, neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:15 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, I make sure I get the aged/rotted pile and I know the folks at the farm take care of them with the good stuff.

Thanks, for some reason I thought you had everything outside already but sounds like I caught up to you now. Joys of coastal living I guess.

Sorry about your pups.. Mine is going to be 12yrs in a few months and still going strong (Pure Bred Lab Retriever). Her mom lived to 15. She does have arthritis so it sucks that she cant do her favorite thing anymore. Hike, swim and chase.
Nope, don't have anything outside yet. Just started everything way too early indoors, as I now realize. First year starting anything from seed so I wanted to use it as a learning opportunity to take notes on how long everything takes for me with my conditions in my basement. I won't be starting peppers and tomatoes until much later next season.

Yeah, it sucks when they get older, but with meds and love, they thrive. I'm not overly worried because we caught it very quickly. He's a tough guy, so I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:29 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Havent counted the Peppers yet.. Never topped them off. Have to look into that. I've had success without touching the plants but always looking to learn!

Tomatoes:: Growing

Heritage: 14
Steak Sandwich: 11
Cuor Di Bue: 10
Ace 55: 8
Porterhouse: 7
Campari: 7
Brandy Boy: 6
Early Treat Hybrid: 5
Roma: 5
Homestead: 5
Farmstand: 4
Sweet 100 Cherry: 4
Tasty Treat Cherry: 4
Cherokee Purple: 1
Best Boy: 1

92. Will keep 50. Give away rest to friends, family, neighbors.
Wow, nice variety there!! 50 plants is a lot, but you have an awesome space to grow them in. How many of these are tried and true and how many are new to you?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
First year starting anything from seed so I wanted to use it as a learning opportunity to take notes on how long everything takes for me with my conditions in my basement. I won't be starting peppers and tomatoes until much later next season.
I been starting from seeds since 2004 but each year is different when to start. Typical is end of March for Tomatoes. Mid March for peppers. But either Spring is late or early so its hard to get that perfect start day. Either they will be too big or too small if Spring comes early enough to plant outside.

Quote:
How many of these are tried and true and how many are new to you?
Tried them all except Tasty Treat Cherry & Porterhouse.

Steak Sandwich is awesome. Very juicy and perfect size. Ace 55 is a favorite of mine too. They are all great.

Campari is too small but figured I had the seeds, might as well.

Cherokee Purple I'm not a fan of the taste but it looks awesome when you harvest the yields and mix it with the batch of others.

Porterhouse is humongous! I didn't have enough sun last year so didn't get any yields from it but will this year.

Roma's are pointless except for canning which I do but I don't have room to have a whole crop of Romas for canning. So I use any Tomato for canning.

Cuor Di Bue directly from Italy apparently wasn't familiar with coastal CT climate. LMAO. It was acting weird but the looks is awesome. (heart shape) Not so much the taste.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
How many peppers? Do you top your pepper plants? Have you ever tried it?
Back to this... Watched some videos and I remembered why I don't and can't do it.

SHORT GROWING SEASON! I'm lucky to get yields that ripen enough for picking multiple times. So last thing I want to do is cut and have the thing grow new.

In September our Max temps barely get into the 80s so Peppers are pretty much done at end of August.
June, July, August is all they got outside.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:05 PM

205 posts, read 222,948 times
I finally got my peppers in today. Hopefully the cold nights are done!
Attached Thumbnails
My Veggie Garden 2015 (Pics)-20150424_160723_resized.jpg   My Veggie Garden 2015 (Pics)-20150424_174257_resized.jpg  

Old 04-25-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
I finally got my peppers in today. Hopefully the cold nights are done!
Nice! I see you were in the 40s and 50s this morning. While frost is done for you (unless your in the mountains) there should still be cool nights. Peppers hate temps under 60. prefer above 80. But you should be fine. Watch them take off after mid may

Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 AM

Decided to do another soil test using the tubes.

Results:

PH: as was known from previous test: 7.0-7.5
Nitrogen: Looks Low
Phosphorus: Looks High/Medium (Darker than Lighter)
Potash: Looks Medium

Phosphorus/Potash makes sense since I had wood ashes mixed into the soil from the wood stove.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/woodash.html

Looks like I'll need some Blood Meal or something with more Nitrogen then the rest. I wonder if compost will do the trick which I usual dress up with when its time to transplant (2 weeks)

But again.. It's one spot. There could be a different result just 10 feet away but I'm not going crazy testing 5-10 spots.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 AM

4/26/15

2 weeks away from transplanting. I need to figure out how to slow the growth a bit for the Tomatoes. So healthy but so early. Damn. Miracle Grow Organic Soil. Plants have never been fertilized at all. Soil, Water, Light, and Air flow. That's it.

The setup. (my living room)

Bell Peppers

Tomatoes

They are ready to take off. 35 outside. Still dropping to 30s at night. Daytime struggling past 50s.
I need a greenhouse!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:06 AM

205 posts, read 222,948 times
Wow. 'Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden