Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:07 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times

Advertisements

August 14, 2015 Update.....

Well... it was a good run. Here we are mid August and things are dwindling down.

It was a Very Warm & Dry May
A Normal and Wet June
A Hot and Dry July
Now we're Warm with normal rainfall in August so far

Cucumbers showing their age... Fall soon. Can't wait.

Some parts of the plants still are healthy so I may just prune and get rid of the bad stuff. Going to look thin. but you can see there are new blooms happening still. There are a couple of cukes but they are being stunted a bit.

Tomatoes... Wasn't my best year at all. Guessing soil and maybe rotated them too soon from last years spot. (Had Potatoes in this spot last year)

Had some nice harvests though. Mmmm.

Cuor Di Bue from Italy. Heart Shape.

2 kinds of Kale. Yeah.. tired of pulling weeds now with the Hot Torching Sun!

Bell Peppers did great...however....

Whats with the bottom end rotted out on the plant? Ugh! Had to drop these. No good.

Hot Peppers in pots did GREAT! Lots still left.

My favorite fruit all time... FIGS! After a brutal winter and covered very well, it suffered and had a late start. Will they have enough time to ripen to purple?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,767 times
The kale looks great! Have you had any issues with worms/slugs eating the kale? Judging from the pic, it doesn't appear so

Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
The kale looks great! Have you had any issues with worms/slugs eating the kale? Judging from the pic, it doesn't appear so
Sorry for delay. The weather did not motivate me to do anything in the garden! No slugs or worms.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM

August 27, 2015 update. Non stop temps in the 80s almost a record. one of the warmest 2nd half of summers on record. Humid and Warm not my favorite combo so I didn't care about much. Was pretty miserable to be outside.

Cukes are done. Had an awesome run.
String Beans are done.
Eggplants did nothing.
Tomatoes not the best year
Bell peppers kept rotting at the bottom

Onions did well
Potatoes did well

Hot peppers still going.

but it's time to get ready for Fall.... unfortunetly the weather is not... Summer will last another 2 weeks and that means well above normal. UGH!

Pulling the Tomatoes even ones that had ripe and green ones on there and new blooms. Don't care.

you can tell all the weeds around.. just didn't have motivation for being outside.

So this will probably be the last update... really no yields to show other than Hot Peppers & overgrown Beets now so.... Thanks all for reading and interacting... See you next year.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:01 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Cambium, thanks again (and reps again!) for your wonderful veggie garden threads. They are so much fun to read ... I especially like looking at the harvest photos (yum!!!).

What happened to the eggplants? When you say they "did nothing," do you mean you got no yield at all?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,696,911 times
Cam, your garden is so beautiful. It's amazing that we're nearing the end of the season, isn't it? It feels like we just started it!!! I hope to get another 4-6 weeks of growing season because my peppers, in particular, EXPLODE during the month of September assuming we steer clear of damaging frosts. Tomatoes definitely winding down now and the squash are all but done, save for one or two stragglers. Still waiting on some cantaloupe and watermelon to ripen - sometimes we have a long enough season for them and sometimes we don't. I hope to at least get one good one of each!

I know it's extremely early, but do you already have plans in your mind for next season? I've already got a draft list going for next season's tomatoes and peppers..

Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 PM

675 posts, read 1,815,735 times

Old 09-12-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cambium, thanks again (and reps again!) for your wonderful veggie garden threads. They are so much fun to read ... I especially like looking at the harvest photos (yum!!!).

What happened to the eggplants? When you say they "did nothing," do you mean you got no yield at all?
Thanks! It's always fun sharing and then looking back on in the future. Eggplants I believe was a soil issue. Too much compost was too rich for them? Not too sure. See update below on Eggplant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Cam, your garden is so beautiful. It's amazing that we're nearing the end of the season, isn't it? It feels like we just started it!!! I hope to get another 4-6 weeks of growing season because my peppers, in particular, EXPLODE during the month of September assuming we steer clear of damaging frosts.

I know it's extremely early, but do you already have plans in your mind for next season? I've already got a draft list going for next season's tomatoes and peppers..
Isn't it crazy how time flys???? Rest assure I left some stuff in.. See update below. Next season not on my mind until our January thaw. lol. most likely same crops except less Tomatoes and more of something else...maybe Onions.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:56 AM

So Typically I rip everything out by now but I kept a few just to see how far it can go this year being one of the warmest August and Septembers on record... Sure enough...

Still growing...

Beets! Sooo Good!

Kale, Swiss Chard, Carrots

Some herbs. Basil, Lemon Balm, Parsley, Spearmint, Oregano, ect

The other week I was happy to see an Eggplant forming.. My first this year and the only one... So I went out there to check on it yesterday. Goodbye. Ripped up and tossed. No Eggplants at all this year.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:51 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times
I was afraid you totally gave up lol. Glad to see everything is still going, may as well take advantage of the warmth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden