Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 AM

455 posts, read 1,139,783 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow gardeners.

I'm thinking to add some small trees for privacy this spring on an east-facing slope with crappy clay soil in Middle Tennessee.

At this point, I'm leaning most toward Foster #2 holly (or any of the other Ilex x attenuata cultivars - but I figure Foster would be the easiest one to find) and/or sweetbay magnolia (Magnolia virginiana). Any thoughts on these choices for the site as I've described it?

I was close to including the native cherry laurel (Prunus caroliniana) in my plans, but I feel like we're at the edge of its hardiness zone and since we've had a couple of harsh winters in a row with lows near zero degrees, I'm worried I'd have a lot of winter damage on the cherry laurels. I feel they're probably much nicer looking down in the Deep South or Coastal South. Anyone have personal experience with them in the inland Upper South that would challenge that assumption?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
Hello fellow gardeners.

I'm thinking to add some small trees for privacy this spring on an east-facing slope with crappy clay soil in Middle Tennessee.

At this point, I'm leaning most toward Foster #2 holly (or any of the other Ilex x attenuata cultivars - but I figure Foster would be the easiest one to find) and/or sweetbay magnolia (Magnolia virginiana). Any thoughts on these choices for the site as I've described it?

I was close to including the native cherry laurel (Prunus caroliniana) in my plans, but I feel like we're at the edge of its hardiness zone and since we've had a couple of harsh winters in a row with lows near zero degrees, I'm worried I'd have a lot of winter damage on the cherry laurels. I feel they're probably much nicer looking down in the Deep South or Coastal South. Anyone have personal experience with them in the inland Upper South that would challenge that assumption?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Southern Ohio here, also crappy clay/shale "soil". Have a sweetbay magnolia - it's done well. Was tempted to get the new cultivar ("moonlight?" "moonglow") as its supposed to be more evergreen, but I haven't figured out yet where to put a 2nd one.

In Tennessee I would think with the milder winters that it would do even better than here.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
It depends. I'd test the soil and see how much sun and moisture the area gets.

Sweetbay magnolia - aka Swamp magnolia grow very slowly, are only partly evergreen and like moist soil and full sun.

Foster Holly - no idea. If you have alkaline soil, burford holly may be a good alternative. FYI all of my hollies seem to grow very slowly.

Cherry Laurel - Sadly don't know.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the responses!

@kinkytoes, I'm planning to hire a landscaper to install 5-7 ft tall specimens, so slow growth won't be a deal breaker.

I've had the soil tested once previously and it was essentially neutral pH as I recall.

@Briolat21, good to know that the sweetbay (swamp) magnolia performs well for you in southern Ohio! It sounds like yours goes deciduous? Does it hold onto its leaves until early winter? One reason I'm inclined toward the sweetbay is that I've heard it can tolerate heavy clay pretty well. Would you say it gives decent privacy/screening?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I live here too, and two relatively fast-growing tree-sized shrubs that give great privacy are Leyland cypress and Burford holly.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
Thanks for the responses!

@kinkytoes, I'm planning to hire a landscaper to install 5-7 ft tall specimens, so slow growth won't be a deal breaker.

I've had the soil tested once previously and it was essentially neutral pH as I recall.

@Briolat21, good to know that the sweetbay (swamp) magnolia performs well for you in southern Ohio! It sounds like yours goes deciduous? Does it hold onto its leaves until early winter? One reason I'm inclined toward the sweetbay is that I've heard it can tolerate heavy clay pretty well. Would you say it gives decent privacy/screening?
I have it as more of a "specimen" (I like the branch structure of Magnolias). It does hold its leaves pretty late (late November, early December) compared with true deciduous, and sometimes one or two leaves survive the whole winter. With the leaf loss, I'm not sure how it would be for a privacy screen. It does smell heavenly, as do many of the magnolias.

If you don't use one as a privacy, consider it as a specimen (like us!) for the beautiful scent.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM

@Briolat21 - Thanks for the additional details on the sweetbay. I'm leaning toward getting one, but using it in a different area further from the house. I had a landscaper come by today and he warned me it can get quite large. Might work best - as you suggested - as a specimen plant.

@Wmsn4Life - Thanks for the suggestions. You're right, those are both solid performers in Middle TN. I don't want to be difficult (though I probably am), but I'm disinclined to use either one. I'd prefer to use natives and both (especially the Leylands) seem way overplanted to me. On the other hand, I recognize that they are used to so often because they are reliable and tough enough to withstand our clay soil, cold winter, hot summers, torrential spring rains, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden