U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:54 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,622,168 times

Advertisements

We're on the east coast and needless to say, it's been a rough winter. Looking forward to spring that seems to be around the corner.

I pruned my fruit trees (4 peaches, 3 grape vines, 1 pear, 1 sour cherry, 1 mulberry, 1 sweet cherry, 1 apple, 2 plums) a few days ago, but was wondering what you all are doing to your backyard to prepare for the coming spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,436 posts, read 50,666,198 times
Sorry, but I'm enjoying this late winter too much to think about spring. We have been in the 60s and sunny for a couple of weeks, only a few frosts at night. In the greenhouse I have peas a foot tall, lettuce/spinach/kale 6" tall already. The fruit trees are starting to blossom. We've never had a milder winter in our 21 years here and it's a real treat.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:25 AM

34,611 posts, read 42,768,368 times
We shouldn't really complain here in GA, since the winters are child's play compared to you northerners, but we went to FL last week and had sunshine and 80 degree weather. Now, back at home, we expect the same weather here from now on.
My little seedlings are thriving on the window sill and our last frost danger is March 15.
Today I think I'll go pull some weeds and start getting the flower and garden beds ready to go. I can't wait to get outside.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,140,611 times
I am dying for spring. Our winter hasn't been nearly as severe as in other areas, but we've still had a couple very cold blasts and instances of heavy snowfall. This week promises excellent weather for getting our gardens ready for spring. The empty trees and brown grass get to me more than the actual weather, although I love living in a place with 4 truly distinct seasons (sometimes even getting a taste of all 4 in one day!)..

I have committed myself to preparing one container per evening and 3 on weekend days until they're all ready to go, weather permitting. Of course, living in Colorado, weather is never a constant, so we have to take advantage when we have the chance. We've had measurable snow in Denver as late as June 03, so there's still quite a while to go before we're truly safe from extremes.

Thinking-man, it sounds like you have yourself a nice orchard! We've only got two plum trees that only produce every 4 years or so and the fruit aren't really edible. The spring blossoms are gorgeous, though! I usually wait to prune until early May when the real cold is unlikely to make a return, but still early/cool enough that the tree isn't in full bloom.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:37 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,846,342 times
My backyard is still covered in a snowpack. Some of the bushes around our house did NOT survive this winter I can already tell because they were buried for about three months. Right now I am sitting in the bedroom watching the sun beat through the windows and feeling happy that our temps are above freezing today.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 PM

34,611 posts, read 42,768,368 times
I did go outside and weed today. I also repotted my orange tree and moved it out of the garage. I bought a patio lime tree and repotted it too. Fun day.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 PM

749 posts, read 716,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
We're on the east coast and needless to say, it's been a rough winter. Looking forward to spring that seems to be around the corner.

I pruned my fruit trees (4 peaches, 3 grape vines, 1 pear, 1 sour cherry, 1 mulberry, 1 sweet cherry, 1 apple, 2 plums) a few days ago, but was wondering what you all are doing to your backyard to prepare for the coming spring?
I am on the East Coast too, and I will be planting the new Phlox on the market that is disease free........I love to my Phlox, when they flower.........a sign of true beauty..........

Old 03-11-2015, 03:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 8,860,405 times
Here in Far northern Cal we never got a winter, no real frosts. The peach trees are just starting to bloom and plums started 2 weeks ago. My large leaf maple already budded out with blooms and the leaves are right behind. We went from a record breaking warm summer, to a pseudo fall and into a non winter, spring blooming bulbs were blooming at Christmas and the New Year, my poplar took maybe a month off without leaves. Birds started making nests and mating about a month ago. Now it is near mid March and our chances for more significant rain is evaporating.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,622,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Here in Far northern Cal we never got a winter, no real frosts. The peach trees are just starting to bloom and plums started 2 weeks ago. My large leaf maple already budded out with blooms and the leaves are right behind. We went from a record breaking warm summer, to a pseudo fall and into a non winter, spring blooming bulbs were blooming at Christmas and the New Year, my poplar took maybe a month off without leaves. Birds started making nests and mating about a month ago. Now it is near mid March and our chances for more significant rain is evaporating.
interesting....i've always wondered about California...especially southern Cali....near orange county....Do their tulips and other flower plants always have flowers year round?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:44 AM

36,435 posts, read 41,667,043 times
https://www.facebook.com/22740705893...type=1&theater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden