U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 05:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times

Advertisements

While gathering firewood I walked to the back of our property and started getting behind the hedgerow of crud that is back there - just scrubby no good stuff. The stickers almost overtook me, so I decided to back out and realized I was tangled up in some MONSTROUS rose bushes. I've lost all my words this morning, please bear with me...there's just scruffy brush that we will be taking out when the weather warms a little, and it appears to be choking out these bushes. The stems are very long and leggy, like they are looking for light.

Arkansas is full of wild roses - my great grandmother called them ramblin' roses. They come in all shades of pink and red and just grow over fences. This neighborhood has quite a few, and the neighbors to either side say small bushes pop up all the time. I have no idea what the name really is, but the flowers they produces have multiple petals and a fairly strong fragrance. We lived in this neighborhood before, and they require virtually no water or attention. The ones we had were in blazing hot sun about 7 hours per day. I thought someone must have planted them, obviously I was incorrect. They are hardy - never any black spot or anything, if it's the same roses.

My question is, after cutting back everything around them that appears to be choking them out they are still under a pretty heavy canopy of oak and hickory trees. I'm not dumb enough to put my husband on a ladder to raise the canopy. I'd like to move the rose bushes closer to the house after cutting them back some, but I figure the roots probably go to China so they may stay where they are at. They've obviously at least lived without my care for many years, but if I do decide to transplant, is there any special care I should take to make sure they reestablish themselves? Or should I just try to root cuttings and leave the big ones where they are and assume they will do better once I clear the brush from around them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
While gathering firewood I walked to the back of our property and started getting behind the hedgerow of crud that is back there - just scrubby no good stuff. The stickers almost overtook me, so I decided to back out and realized I was tangled up in some MONSTROUS rose bushes. I've lost all my words this morning, please bear with me...there's just scruffy brush that we will be taking out when the weather warms a little, and it appears to be choking out these bushes. The stems are very long and leggy, like they are looking for light.

Arkansas is full of wild roses - my great grandmother called them ramblin' roses. They come in all shades of pink and red and just grow over fences. This neighborhood has quite a few, and the neighbors to either side say small bushes pop up all the time. I have no idea what the name really is, but the flowers they produces have multiple petals and a fairly strong fragrance. We lived in this neighborhood before, and they require virtually no water or attention. The ones we had were in blazing hot sun about 7 hours per day. I thought someone must have planted them, obviously I was incorrect. They are hardy - never any black spot or anything, if it's the same roses.

My question is, after cutting back everything around them that appears to be choking them out they are still under a pretty heavy canopy of oak and hickory trees. I'm not dumb enough to put my husband on a ladder to raise the canopy. I'd like to move the rose bushes closer to the house after cutting them back some, but I figure the roots probably go to China so they may stay where they are at. They've obviously at least lived without my care for many years, but if I do decide to transplant, is there any special care I should take to make sure they reestablish themselves? Or should I just try to root cuttings and leave the big ones where they are and assume they will do better once I clear the brush from around them?
What you describe is whats so wonderful about own root roses, they are so hardy and wonderful. The variety is likely a very old type left over from someone long forgotten, a little bit of history. I personally would not try to move the plant for fear of killing the plant. I would get some rooting hormone and take some cuttings.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:58 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times
Lindsey, thank you for your very quick reply! So for the ones left standing...just leave them alone and let them do their thing? Should they be trimmed back at all since they are so leggy, and if so, when and where on the cane to cut? Rooting hormone and just dirt from the area, or do I need to get fancy here?

I love roses but minue usually come with a complicated set of instructions on a hanging tag - I can't find the tag on these....

Old 01-12-2008, 03:43 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Lindsey, thank you for your very quick reply! So for the ones left standing...just leave them alone and let them do their thing? Should they be trimmed back at all since they are so leggy, and if so, when and where on the cane to cut? Rooting hormone and just dirt from the area, or do I need to get fancy here?

I love roses but minue usually come with a complicated set of instructions on a hanging tag - I can't find the tag on these....
I'm affraid you will have to do some investigation on the best way to cut back own root roses, thats not something I am familiar with. I imagine some potting soil would be better also.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,929,451 times
You can also take "cuttings" and try and root them. There is information on line about this. do a search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or