Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,100 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have a Philodendron plant that grew aerial roots. I didn't know/understand what these roots were so, I stuck them back in the dirt. Needless to say my plant is dying (the lower leaves are turning yellow and falling off). It's too late to pull the aerial roots out they are really rooted in the soil.

I'm sure you can tell I'm not a plant person. Does anyone have a simple (or step by step) suggestion of what I can do to do to save my plant? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 03:25 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
The fact that some of the leaves are dying doesn't necessarily mean that the entire plant is in any danger.

I'm no gardner, but I'd suggest pruning the dead leaves. That's all I ever did to my asparagus fern and English ivy, and they lived (and grew!) for years.

FWIW, my late grandma had a split-leaf philodendron (Monstera deliciosa) that she couldn't kill, despite repeated attempts. I bet your philodendron is much hardier than you realize.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Try re potting it if the roots are getting crowded., dont over water it, and when was the last time you gave it a little fertilizer? How long have you had this plant?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:59 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Could be root bound or overextended or understaffed. I would repot in a planter half again the size. Water well give it a while and then fertilize. It should be fine, they are hardy and generally hard to kill.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,100 times
Thanks guys you were right. I went to my local florist. He said that it just needs fertilizer. So I have to put that on my to do list, pronto! It's really good to hear this plant is hard to kill but it did give me quite a scare. Thanks so much!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Yeah, they are darn near impossible to kill. I've had one for 25 years. In those 25 years, I've forgotten to water it for months at a time. I've forgotten to fertilize it for years at a time. I've had cats dig it up. It's gotten knocked off it's table. It's been overwatered. It's been rootbound. It's been brought outside to repot and subjected to sun scald when it sat outside for a week or 2.

It's grown tendrils 15-20 feet long or more. It is currently wound around my stair railing. Last summer, I meant to unwind it, but never got to it. So it's on my list for this coming summer...unwind the several long tendrils and repot, cuz it's not been repotted in about 7-8 years. I'm sure it's terribly root bound at this point.

It will get yellowed leaves, but I just pull them off. It's fine.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:34 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Could be root bound or overextended or understaffed. I would repot in a planter half again the size. Water well give it a while and then fertilize. It should be fine, they are hardy and generally hard to kill.
ya gotta love autocorrect. that said overwatered or underwatered !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden