Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times

Advertisements

http://www.pesticides.org/docs/website-lawn-care.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I garden organically and will never use any chemical on my garden. That's how gardening was down for hundreds of years and I don't know why people think they need chemicals at all.

No one really knows the long term effects of these chemicals but with all the warnings on the packages it makes you wonder. I can remember the planes coming over at night spraying DDT and no one thought it was harmful.

Granted it's more time spent and more knowledge needed to do things without chemicals but once you get the hang of it, it's cheaper and you'll have chemical free food. I worked for the Extension Service and I know a few things about this junk that people are brainwashed into buying and using. Just keep a compost pile, improve your soil, buy plants that are native to your region, etc. There are plenty of ways to keep weeds and pests under control without chemicals. There are books you can read if you don't already know how.
I remember DDT being used in houses too in the puffer type spray.. and my aunt used Lysol for outdoor cleaning.. however some of the cocktails of junk in many cleaners and products people use around the house or garden should be much more heavily regulated..as its not usually the one ingredient but the mix use that is a potential hazzard... Where I live men come round with a mask and backpack spraying the weeds at the sides of pavements and I have to ask them not to spray next to the side part of my garden that goes on to a council path..If they need masks, we dont need what theyre spraying, simple.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:43 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
The fact that that website is named "pesticides.org" means nothing. It is just one of thousands of pseudoscience based websites aimed at stirring up hysteria over agricultural and landscaping pest control products. Look at that article. It's one assertions after another, with absolutely no citations or any references to reliable scientific research that supports their assertions.

Websites like this do nothing but proliferate the amount of garbage "information" out there. Find me a ".edu" link that supports your opinions and I"ll pay attention. Otherwise, this is all hyperbole.

Sources MATTER.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:08 AM

685 posts, read 720,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
THANK YOU! Uggh, I am so tired of hearing and reading about how dangerous everything is. It's so exhausting. If something is labeled "natural" or "organic", people don't think twice.. without even really knowing and understanding anything other than what the manufacturer of that particular product wants them to believe. A full-blown, organically grown garden doesn't mean much if the farm up the road soaks their land in pesticides.. on a particularly breezy day.. catch my drift..?

I just can't imagine how generations before us lived at all before the advent of all things "natural" and "organic".. .. but I suppose they had bigger worries..
Actually, natural is meaningless but I used to think it meant non-toxic. For example, I was in a thread or two researching dog food. I sent a manufacturer the question about what natural means to them. Part of their response said there's MSG in their "natural" ingredients.

We used to live in what I'd call the 2nd worst village in a county in NY. But anytime pesticide was sprayed on the lawns, the ordinance stated they had to post signs (like a special-colored small flag) indicating this.
I agree that wind, birds, and pollinating bees do wonders spreading the stuff. Your drift and breeze were perfectly caught. However, we kept our dogs away from that lawn or lawns knowing just what you said.
Here, my next door neighbor always tells the surrounding neighbors who care about the pesticides. We just keep off her lawn. They haven't flown over here because our lawn looks like pretty landscaped uh ... dog pee .

Old 03-23-2015, 10:19 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
It's frustrating at times (pulling weeds) but I try to maintain as much of a chemical free yard and garden as possible. I wish more people would go this route but I don't judge...I'm just fortunate to have the time available to manage it.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
It's frustrating at times (pulling weeds) but I try to maintain as much of a chemical free yard and garden as possible. I wish more people would go this route but I don't judge...I'm just fortunate to have the time available to manage it.
I agree they can be a pain but if your able and the garden isnt to big then your on a winner.. I can do mine if the weather is ok.. we have a lot of rain and cold weather... but today its nice so Im going out the front garden to do some weeding in between slabs, and clean it all up.. and get my new plants in the containers... love this time of years when it gets a bit milder to see the flowers..My hubby wants to use weed killer too but its a big no at this end..not a chance..

Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I remember DDT being used in houses too in the puffer type spray.. and my aunt used Lysol for outdoor cleaning.. however some of the cocktails of junk in many cleaners and products people use around the house or garden should be much more heavily regulated..as its not usually the one ingredient but the mix use that is a potential hazzard... Where I live men come round with a mask and backpack spraying the weeds at the sides of pavements and I have to ask them not to spray next to the side part of my garden that goes on to a council path..If they need masks, we dont need what theyre spraying, simple.
DDT is making a comeback. People have come to realize the world is not a better place without this chemical: Malaria Victims: How Environmentalist Ban on DDT Caused 50 Million Deaths - Discover the Networks. The title of that article is: MALARIA VICTIMS: HOW ENVIRONMENTALIST BAN ON DDT CAUSED 50 MILLION DEATHS. The book "Silent Spring" could go down in history as killing more people than Hitler and many other despots combined.

I am not trying to blindly endorse all chemicals. I think people should make informed decisions. I was disappointed with NAFTA in 94 because it looked like, to trade with Canada, that we would have to disclose all chemicals and ingredients in our products. But that never happened - perhaps we corrupted their system?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
unfortunately we cannot get away from harmful chemicals, they are all around us, in the ground, in our food, they are everywhere and some are not man made.

one that isn't man made is Radon, which comes up from the ground and into our homes.

the others are to many to name but here goes.

blacktop, concrete, pressure treated lumber, every time it rains, these seep into the ground.
They are in our kitchen cabinets, if they are not real wood....every lake that is treated for weeks, those treatments are loaded with chemicals.

Industries that dump chemicals into our rivers and streams...toxic waste....

back in the 40's our government experimented setting off nuclear bombs out west, all that debris waste is in our ground. No one knows exactly how long chemicals stay in the ground.

Years ago, farmers were using chemicals to kill weeds in their fields, which killed off pheasants....and those chemicals are still in the ground....

and that is just a start, have not yet, touched base on our foods....

so if you want to kill weeds in your yard, use straight white vinegar in a spray bottle. But there are so many chemicals all around us, that I'm surprised not many have figured out that, is where cancer comes from....all those chemicals....

Plus Electrical lines....give off waves of cancer causing agents.....

Old 03-24-2015, 08:12 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Default Yet ANOTHER Organic Food Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Since the 1800's and the industrial revolution many farmers turned to chemicals. Many of those chemicals were considerably more hazardous than the chemicals currently sold on our store shelves today. Many of the old farmers had their own dumps located in a corner of their property - there the old bags of chemicals and cans/drums would go to rust into the ground. There were many snake-oil salesmen promising better crops and selling lies.

Part of gardening and farming is experimenting and looking for a better way. They want to grow bigger and healthier plants and they want longer growing seasons. People have made mistakes - both 'organic' farmers and traditional farmers. Today we have more information at our fingertips than ever before - it is easier to grow 'organic' crops.

Because of criticism like this: Organic food inspections lacking, former inspector says | Government content from Delta Farm Press; I am not tottaly onboard with organic farming. I would rather see better regulations.

And once again, another organic frozen food line has had to recall hundreds of thousands of packages of their product due to Listeria contamination concerns.

You can buy much better -- but you can't pay more. Every time I see these Amy's meals in the freezer section, I wonder who is naive enough to buy that stuff. Tiny portions, big bucks. Risk of pathogenic bacteria thrown in at no extra charge.

Amy's recalls frozen meals on possible listeria contamination - Chicago Tribune

Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
And once again, another organic frozen food line has had to recall hundreds of thousands of packages of their product due to Listeria contamination concerns.

You can buy much better -- but you can't pay more. Every time I see these Amy's meals in the freezer section, I wonder who is naive enough to buy that stuff. Tiny portions, big bucks. Risk of pathogenic bacteria thrown in at no extra charge.

Amy's recalls frozen meals on possible listeria contamination - Chicago Tribune
Farmer's markets are great - but don't have the standards of our grocery stores. Somebody, that just shoveled manure could have touched your head of lettuce or held your melon. We also don't know how long everything has been out in the hot sun or if it recently had frost damage. The industry simply does not have enough inspectors to hit every little mom and pop produce stand displaying their 'organic' foods.

I think that I would rather trust 'normal' foods where recalls are posted on every news station. There is more scrutiny on our national farms and distribution network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden