Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:03 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

OP, be aware that generally you can only cut the overhanging branch back to the property line. Also, if your pruning kills the tree you may be liable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
My guess is someone nearby is a wildlife rehabilitator and releases rescued squirrels into the neighborhood. You normally don't see squirrels stay together in the wild.
Oh in suburban MD they sure did populate and crowd in- abundant oaks and nut trees, ample tree cover- my place had hundreds of squirrels, and in that environment they don't have much fear of humans because there is no hunting pressure on them.

Problem is when the start cacheing food for storage- pardon the pun they go nuts! They will find ANY crevice to store nuts into. Attics especially. I had a 1992 or so Honda CRX and they found a way to get nuts stored into the cross member frame hole under my hood!. Every time I popped the hood you could hear acorns rattling around the hollow cross member frames.

I had acorns stored between the exhaust manifold and the engine block (which caught on fire one day down the highway)..

Oh yeah- they cluster up and co-habitat with humans alright!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
You asked for advice... here's mine...

PowerLine Model 2880 with Scope | Daisy Outdoor Products

Happy Hunting!

They're nothing but rats with fancy tails, folks...
I've had them in my attic before and I will do anything I can to kill those pesky critters...
If one's in the road while I'm behind the wheel, it's GAME ON!

Old 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Squirrels are not typically a problem. They might dig up your flowers or eat vegetables every now and then, but it's not a huge issue in my experience, and I see squirrels every day at my house.

They are usually too shy of humans to cause a problem for kids or anything. If you have an outdoor cat you might find some dead squirrels left at your door.
Or they might take one bite out of every tomato in your garden, just because they can.

Funniest darn thing happened to me and my dog last summer. I was sitting in the sun, reading, on my deck with my dog lying down beside me. A squirrel came running down the deck railing behind me, and in the same split second, I turned in my chair, my dog jumped up to look, and the squirrel skidded to a stop! For the briefest of time, we were all frozen, all within 5 feet of each other, and all dumbfounded! Squirrel jumped to the ground, the dog scampered off the deck, chased the squirrel, and I returned to my book.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
... You normally don't see squirrels stay together in the wild. .
Someone forgot to tell that to the squirrels in my neighborhood.

I have herds and flocks and pods of squirrels in my neighborhood. No one releases any here. They just keep growing their families. In the winter when the leaves fall off the trees, you can see all the dreys (squirrel nests) - easily 2-3 nest PER TREE, and I have a LOT of trees all over my neighborhood. I used to have wood duck bird houses....the squirrels commandeered them, and I have had squirrel houses for many years.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
You asked for advice... here's mine...

PowerLine Model 2880 with Scope | Daisy Outdoor Products

Happy Hunting!

They're nothing but rats with fancy tails, folks...
I've had them in my attic before and I will do anything I can to kill those pesky critters...
If one's in the road while I'm behind the wheel, it's GAME ON!
I shoot Canadian geese in the butt with a BB gun regularly to "get off my lawn", and the squirrels sit nearby and watch me do this. No fear.

The squirrels are great entertainment for my cats!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,560,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Someone forgot to tell that to the squirrels in my neighborhood.

I have herds and flocks and pods of squirrels in my neighborhood. No one releases any here. They just keep growing their families. In the winter when the leaves fall off the trees, you can see all the dreys (squirrel nests) - easily 2-3 nest PER TREE, and I have a LOT of trees all over my neighborhood. I used to have wood duck bird houses....the squirrels commandeered them, and I have had squirrel houses for many years.
They share nests in the winter.

One of the neighbors had a roofer who spotted animal cages and incubation equipment in one of the next door neighbor's upstairs bedroom. That explained why we saw 20 or more squirrels in the spring and they would disappear during the summer. I also saw they were setting up nests in the rehabber's downspouts. They were climbing in and out and making a huge ruckus.

Maybe you have a higher density of oaks and pine trees. In devouring the pine cones, they shredded the trees across the street from us.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:34 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,099 times
Quote:
I shoot Canadian geese in the butt with a BB gun regularly to "get off my lawn", and the squirrels sit nearby and watch me do this. No fear.

Use a pump pellet rifle instead of a BB gun, and it will go through a squirrel. I'm like the Charles Hathcock of my neighborhood.

I'm currently considering cutting down a Bradford Pear that is probably 50 feet tall. The squirrels use it to jump on my roof and run over to an Oak on the other side of the house. It's also leaning and right next to a brand new fence. Bradford Pears are notorious for splitting during storms. The only reason this one is so tall is because my house shields it from wind. It is the primary squirrel habitat in my yard due to its thickness.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:

I'm just pokin' fun....

There's no such thing as CANADIAN geese... they are CANADA GEESE...
And everybody calls them Canadian... but there's no such species... for the record...

Pokin' fun over... back to work!
Peace

Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 AM

At my last house in Acworth, GA, 27 of those furry little rats perished.
I prefer the JFK mode - shoot 'em right in the temple... but it didn't come from the grassy knoll...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden