Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:20 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Wow. I don't have a garden, but wondered why my tap waters foamy. Kidney levels took a dive over the last 2 yrs and referal to a nephrologist; first thing he asked chemical exposure, more specifically lead.
Thanks for linking.
Why don't you try a filter like the 'Pur' system on your kitchen sink and use that for all of your drinking water: PUR® Water Filters and Water Filtration Systems | Welcome to PUR | PUR. They claim that it removes 99% of all lead and other chemicals. In the meantime; I would get my water tested. Don't fool around with kidneys going bad and foamy water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 11:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Quote:
Wow. I don't have a garden, but wondered why my tap waters foamy. Kidney levels took a dive over the last 2 yrs and referal to a nephrologist; first thing he asked chemical exposure, more specifically lead.
Thanks for linking.
you drink from your garden hose? Then stop!

Old 10-22-2016, 01:34 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Why don't you try a filter like the 'Pur' system on your kitchen sink and use that for all of your drinking water: PUR® Water Filters and Water Filtration Systems | Welcome to PUR | PUR. They claim that it removes 99% of all lead and other chemicals. In the meantime; I would get my water tested. Don't fool around with kidneys going bad and foamy water.
Thanks, I started drinking bottled water only. I rent, could be the pipes in this building? The guy downstairs has been here a long time too, he had a kidney removed.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:05 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is one link that I just found on these foaming hoses: Is Your Garden Hose Leaching BPA, Lead, and Phthalates into Your Water? ~ Eco-novice. It does not paint a pretty picture of the chemicals that we might be exposed to. I have to wonder where our EPA sits on this issue - perhaps we should be watering their gardens?
As with anything you read online, don't get too excited about such findings unless they are validated by a reputable lab. This entire eco-novice group only has one scientist on their staff. She may be good, or not, but one person does not a condemnation make. I'm writing this especially so that the guy with kidney problems does not jump to conclusions too soon.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I started drinking bottled water only. I rent, could be the pipes in this building? The guy downstairs has been here a long time too, he had a kidney removed.
Even bottled water can have problems. The 'Pur' system is easy to install and you could use that water to cook (if not drink). There are also other systems available. I would not take any chances with foaming water. You can still have it tested and possibly that could lead to a petition to your landlord to remedy the problem? Besides, with the testing, you would know exactly what you are bathing in. Good luck.

PS There are some companies that advertise free water testing because they sell water purifying equipment (but I do not know if I would trust their results)?

Old 10-22-2016, 02:45 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
How to have your water tested?
Often county health departments will help you test for bacteria or nitrates. If not, you can have your water tested by a state certified laboratory. You can find one in your area by calling the Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 800-426-4791 or visiting www.epa.gov/safewater/labs.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:31 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Foamy water is easily caused either by air getting into the water or by oxygen being pulled out of the water. That little screen thingy in your spigot is an aerator. When you turn it on in the kitchen it flows better when the aerator is not full of gunk. It is good to add air to the water. It doesn't get foamy though. It get a little fizzy.

Pouring a coke over ice allows the oxygen on the surface of the ice to bubble/fizz, sometimes overflowing your glass. But none of those things are bad for you.

As for the hoses though, I wonder if the texture of the lining is causing the 'foaming'.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Foamy water is easily caused either by air getting into the water or by oxygen being pulled out of the water. That little screen thingy in your spigot is an aerator. When you turn it on in the kitchen it flows better when the aerator is not full of gunk. It is good to add air to the water. It doesn't get foamy though. It get a little fizzy.

Pouring a coke over ice allows the oxygen on the surface of the ice to bubble/fizz, sometimes overflowing your glass. But none of those things are bad for you.

As for the hoses though, I wonder if the texture of the lining is causing the 'foaming'.
Thanks! But this is not that kind of foaming caused by an aerator. Aerators cause bubbles that almost immediately pop and go away. These hoses have bubbles that stay for some time. I am also thinking that the same is true for 'virgode's' water - but we can ask.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When a hose sits in the hot sun all day and someone then uses it, there could be foam from chemical reactions/oxidation inside the hose from the heat and the water sitting in it. It can also be caused by an excess of phosphorus in the water, more common with well water. There could also be penetration of organic matter decaying in the hose that was drawn from a small leak in an underground pipe. In that situation you would also be drinking that, but in most cases would see an increase in your water bill.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When a hose sits in the hot sun all day and someone then uses it, there could be foam from chemical reactions/oxidation inside the hose from the heat and the water sitting in it. It can also be caused by an excess of phosphorus in the water, more common with well water. There could also be penetration of organic matter decaying in the hose that was drawn from a small leak in an underground pipe. In that situation you would also be drinking that, but in most cases would see an increase in your water bill.
We have several hoses. Not all of them foam - just some of them. That rules out our well water - unless it would be a reaction between our well water and the specific chemicals in the hoses that do foam.

By the way; I never remembered foaming problems with the hoses years ago. Possibly they did make foaming hoses and we had not purchased one from that particular company or nation? Most of the ones we do have, that foam, came from one of the large hardware/lumber company chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden