Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:05 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately there are two things red tip photinias will not stand for - neither one of them evident in your Socal photo-

They will not stand for humidity
They hate being pruned

Most of the people in the USA (including our OP) live in areas with higher humidity than southern California, and most of them want to prune this tree into a 'bush'. That's failure for this plant. Death and disease.

If I were more ambitious Bulldogdad, I'd take and paste a photo of the photinia between the apartment buildings across the street from me. It is more than 6 stories high, never pruned (65 ft maybe?), and in perfect condition. However also in the neighborhood are thousands more photinia which have been hedged and pruned and are diseased, disgusting, and decrepit.

Red tips are not supposed to get anywhere near 6 stories tall, but believe me, they do. This is NOT a plant suited to be a controlled hedge, fails to perform in that expectation, and is highly susceptible to humidity related diseases.

All plants will thrive in the right condition somewhere, and I'm sure the red tip finds those conditions in southern California. The OP is not in southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Proper pruning prevents **** poor performance and I'm from NorCal.

All plants are subject to proper care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden