U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 AM

536 posts, read 849,049 times
ive seen them as a kid on long island, but i still live on long island and havent seen them in years
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:56 AM

926 posts, read 998,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan74 View Post
ive seen them as a kid on long island, but i still live on long island and havent seen them in years
I think the lightning bugs in New York only light up whenever the Jets have a good team.

JUST JOKING...being a fan, I hope you can appreciate friendly jabs...Lord knows I've taken heat for being a Steelers fan over the years.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:06 AM

610 posts, read 2,156,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I think it would be quite a sight to look outside after dark and see these lightning bugs twinkle like fairy lights.
I see that I was spelling it wrong as it supposed to be lightning and not with the e in it.
Thanks for the photos. It's been many years since I've seen one. It makes me want to go back there somewhere just to see them. I'm sure there's many other sights to see as well but I look forward to watching the lightning bugs at night. I haven't seen one in the last 40 years.

I used the last link Cosmic posted and I have read where lightning bugs eat snails and slugs. I could use some of them here in the northwest.
You're saying we don't have lightening-bugs here in the NorthWest? Bummer, I say.
I was able to take my wife to Ohio for well over a year where she got to see them for the first time - it was quite impressive. The first few nights were entertainment.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:13 AM

536 posts, read 849,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester2 View Post
I think the lightning bugs in New York only light up whenever the Jets have a good team.

JUST JOKING...being a fan, I hope you can appreciate friendly jabs...Lord knows I've taken heat for being a Steelers fan over the years.
lol dont look like ill be seeing any lightning bugs any time soon

Old 04-12-2007, 08:28 AM

571 posts, read 1,859,789 times
I guess I've been lucky. I've never lived anywhere that didn't have lightning bugs - New England, PA, southern states.

But the most I've seen have been here in TN. Last year, my husband finished screening in the porch right as they were getting active. It was BEAUTIFUL!! Little green fairy lights all over. Who needs tiki torches?

Here's a link to an interesting lightning bug occurance in the Smoky Mountains

http://smokymtns.com/firefly.htm (broken link)

Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,468,601 times
I have there where I live and even though I don't have near the amount of bugs that rural areas have (seriously, whenever I go out to the country, or even the further out burbs it freaks me out, there are a LOT of bugs out there), but I do have lightening bugs, and I love them.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,087,241 times
Hot summer nights in Georgia.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,574,794 times
Some day I'll take a trip out to see the fireflys/lightning bugs. I could go out to the Smoky Mountains ansd see those synchronized lightning bugs too.

No the far west has no lightning bugs.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:50 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,082,977 times
Default North Carolina...

yup we got your lightning bugs, they started this year the last week in March,

Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM

2,640 posts, read 122,847 times
They still live in Central Texas but the population has dwindled down considerably. We used to see ever so many and now, only a few are around in the summer months. I miss those sweet little guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden