U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,226,504 times

Advertisements

I have poison ivy on my property, lots of it! Some of it is coming from a storm water easement and some is coming from neighboring wooded property. During the winter I cut several hairy vines in the easement and on the neighboring property. I am trying to avoid using chemicals. I have sprayed a mixture of vinegar, salt and dawn dish soap. It has been 2 days and some of the leaves are brown but there is so much left. I am wondering if anyone has used this same combination successfully to kill poison ivy or if anyone can share any other solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:20 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
I just used RoundUp... Sorry but it works.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:46 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I have poison ivy on my property, lots of it!
Pay someone to remove it. You can't just kill it, you have to get rid of the dead stuff.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:42 PM

3,800 posts, read 3,429,946 times
The vinegar, salt and Dawn may work on less hardy, unwanted weeds. Poison Ivy, begs for chemical warfare. If you really don't want to use chemicals, then you must use physical labor. The roots are what must be removed. DO NOT hesitate, start early and keep on top of this weed. It's almost as bad as Kudzu.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:00 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,321,826 times
I'm very sensitive to poison ivy so I need the strong stuff. Round Up. Done.

It's not like your spraying it in the air. Just spray the vine, root, leaves at the bottom. It will die fast.

But very important to remember the oils will still be on the tree and vine so you can get it even after it dies. Point is to not let it keep growing. Eventually the oils will fade away

Good luck

Old 04-25-2015, 10:57 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
If it's as bad as you've said chemical warfare is the only recourse. I believe that Round Up makes a specific for poison ivy.

Someone will come on shortly and castigate those of us who have recommended using chemicals.

Don't burn the vines, pack them in a heavy trash bag for pick up. If you are poison ivy sensitive wear long sleeves and gloves you won't mind trashing when you're done touching the vines.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:30 PM

2,176 posts, read 2,897,888 times
We suit up for our warfare. Long sleeves, rubber/latex gloves, sock tops cut off at the heel to cover any possible bare wrist skin between shirt and gloves. We carefully pull up each plant running along the ground. Where roots are unwilling to come out of the ground we cut the vine off the root nodes and use a small paint brush in a cup of Round-up and paint the root. I pull the vines and my DH who is very sensitive, holds the heavy trash bag/s that we fill with the detached vines.

For vines in trees we cut the vine at the base near the ground and paint the stump with Round-up. If the vine is small, I will pull it from the tree. If the vine is extensive. I will let it wither and die after cutting from it's roots on the tree. We also search the area for lateral ground runners and take care of them. Every spring we patrol for "turds" or small plants growing from seed excreted by birds. Those pull up nicely. A stitch in time.

I am very much against indiscriminate use of chemicals or using more than needed but there is no really good organic method for this stuff. Our method works without overuse of toxic chemicals. Poison ivy is the devil to get under control once it's gotten out of hand. We are working on about 3 acres up by the house and have most of the once infested area cleared. We are working on mop up operations and will begin to tackle the cleared tree line along the pasture next.

We clean up our tools with rubbing alcohol which cuts the volatile oils. Be very careful undressing so as to not contaminate yourself with the irritant that is likely on your clothing. We shower immediately after clearing poison ivy. Never burn poison ivy. The life you save might be your own.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,715,230 times
Roundup works great.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We suit up for our warfare. Long sleeves, rubber/latex gloves, sock tops cut off at the heel to cover any possible bare wrist skin between shirt and gloves. We carefully pull up each plant running along the ground. Where roots are unwilling to come out of the ground we cut the vine off the root nodes and use a small paint brush in a cup of Round-up and paint the root. I pull the vines and my DH who is very sensitive, holds the heavy trash bag/s that we fill with the detached vines.

For vines in trees we cut the vine at the base near the ground and paint the stump with Round-up. If the vine is small, I will pull it from the tree. If the vine is extensive. I will let it wither and die after cutting from it's roots on the tree. We also search the area for lateral ground runners and take care of them. Every spring we patrol for "turds" or small plants growing from seed excreted by birds. Those pull up nicely. A stitch in time.

I am very much against indiscriminate use of chemicals or using more than needed but there is no really good organic method for this stuff. Our method works without overuse of toxic chemicals. Poison ivy is the devil to get under control once it's gotten out of hand. We are working on about 3 acres up by the house and have most of the once infested area cleared. We are working on mop up operations and will begin to tackle the cleared tree line along the pasture next.

We clean up our tools with rubbing alcohol which cuts the volatile oils. Be very careful undressing so as to not contaminate yourself with the irritant that is likely on your clothing. We shower immediately after clearing poison ivy. Never burn poison ivy. The life you save might be your own.
A very sound battle plan. Poison Ivy should be fought like this, it's slow, it's tedious but, it works very well over the long run. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Bump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden