Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 PM

579 posts, read 522,149 times

Advertisements

You're the six or seventh person this year I've heard complain about fungus gnats in Miracle Grow potting mix. This is a nationwide issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hi all well I got hit by fungus gnats apparently in a bag of potting mix . everything is dead including my tomatoes so miracle grow aka scots got a scathing nasty email and phone call from me but they are making it good . Including reimbursing me for my tomatoes ....Im done for this season maybe next year and all will be good ...NO MORE MIRACLE GROW in this house at all . all my tomatoes and peppers are gone gone gone ...Im so disappointed .

How about one container for the tomato and one container for the pepper?
That will give you something at least and the cost is much less.

I'm sorry you lost your entire garden.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:32 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How about one container for the tomato and one container for the pepper?
That will give you something at least and the cost is much less.

I'm sorry you lost your entire garden.
I had 5 separate containers with a tomato each and 1 container with a green bell pepper in it so Im not sure what you are getting at here ...so I will leave it at that .

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-02-2015 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Fungus gnats should not be a problem unless your soil medium is kept too wet. That high moisture level on top of an organic medium (potting soil) promotes algae and water molds, and the fungus gnats have a field day. Fungus gnats do not eat the plants, they are evidence of a certain growing condition that promotes the water molds.

Bottom line is that it is unfortunately the fault of the user that the fungus gnats take hold. It is worse in an enclosed space (greenhouse, sunroom) where the humidity is also high. So pease do not blame the companies who supply the products. That is not fair. And this is not an attack on the OP, many of us have over-watered our plants thinking we were helping them.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:34 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Fungus gnats should not be a problem unless your soil medium is kept too wet. That high moisture level on top of an organic medium (potting soil) promotes algae and water molds, and the fungus gnats have a field day. Fungus gnats do not eat the plants, they are evidence of a certain growing condition that promotes the water molds.

Bottom line is that it is unfortunately the fault of the user that the fungus gnats take hold. It is worse in an enclosed space (greenhouse, sunroom) where the humidity is also high. So pease do not blame the companies who supply the products. That is not fair. And this is not an attack on the OP, many of us have over-watered our plants thinking we were helping them.

sorry but you are wrong

Quick Facts...
  • Fungus gnats are small, delicate bodied flies that commonly develop in the growing medium of houseplants.
  • Larvae of fungus gnats feed on algae, fungi and plant roots in growing medium. Adults do not bite or feed.
  • Fungus gnats can be controlled by allowing the growing medium to dry between watering.
  • Some insecticides and biological control agents can be used to control fungus gnat larvae in growing media.
They do eat the plant roots ....therefore killing your plants . The product of MG is indeed bad and I have done research and yes scotts is putting out a bad product I have run into other people in other parts of the country who have had the same problem and it is nationwide sorry do you work for them ? is that why you are saying we should not blame them ? just curious .

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-02-2015 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: spelling ....

Old 05-02-2015, 04:39 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
I don't see what is wrong. The larvae feed on the algae and water mold (fungi) that thrive when the potting medium is kept too wet. They only would feed on roots if the roots were dead. Let's not try to cloud the issue. Too much water! Accept responsibility.

Last edited by luv4horses; 05-02-2015 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden