U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:01 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

I ran across this 15 year old column which gave me a few chuckles. If it was this bad 15 years ago, I can only imagine his feelings now.

Renegade Gardener - Garden and gardening advice about flowers and ornamental shrubs and trees in the northern United States such as Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, New England

I think one reason why they are so popular is because they can and even should be divided so frequently and nobody wants to throw extras away so they swap and trade and share with fellow gardeners and even strangers.

They do take up a lot of room. My previous garden was about twice as big as this one. Paring down from 1 acre to half an acre of gardening was necessary but difficult. Previously I had whole beds of nothing but daylilies. I can't afford that here (space wise) but I still have more daylilies than I need or even want.

I will weed out the ditch lilies which somehow got into my garden. Those long-legged orange guys. I avoid orange in my life as much as possible so can't imagine i willingly planted those but they must have come in a swap somehow.

The daylilies I have left are survivors of The Great Deer Wars which I managed to move to the newly protected by deer fencing back yard. Can't wait to see the color I get this year. I will have to thin some out and hope my friends and neighbors will give them homes but the deer problem here is critical so I'm afraid it will be hard giving them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 AM

11,352 posts, read 11,083,410 times
I've thrown out daylilies and when I mention it, you would think I committed one of the deadly sins! They were taking over one end of a perennial bed behind my garage when I bought the house, and before I thinned them out, they were in the garage!

A contractor working on my house noticed the flower bed, told me you better get the dirt away from the wood siding or you will have problems. Oddly enough the deer coming down from the hill across the street (a park area) don't bother the daylilies, they do go after the ones by the corner of the house and tulips, seem to pick & choose.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:22 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
I love the newer types that bloom all summer! What's not to love? Mine are a lovely yellow, don't need a lot of water, and if things get tough, I can fry them up for dinner. (:

Old 05-26-2015, 12:24 AM

785 posts, read 769,794 times
I don't hate day lillies but confess to weeding about 90% out of my beds. Will I be smitten by lighting soon? (looks up at sky anxiously)

Old 05-26-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I don't hate day lillies but confess to weeding about 90% out of my beds. Will I be smitten by lighting soon? (looks up at sky anxiously)
Beware!! I'm on my way.

The thing is, we all are on some kind of gardening budget and I remember when I was first starting out, it was the generosity of strangers willing to share their bounty which got me started on what eventually became my passion.

I have a wonderful list serve called Nextdoor which links homeowners in several neighborhoods. It is wonderful for finding lost pets, selling household items, news about solicitors, etc. I've put free-you-dig notices for a few years and I'm happy to share. I've even put notices on free cycle and craig's list.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:46 PM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
I have a large garden of daylillies at the top of my driveway, about 400' from the house. I absolutely love them.Wow..This garden writer really HATES daylilies-2014-0795.jpg

Old 05-26-2015, 01:50 PM

5,605 posts, read 4,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Don't worry. It'll hit me first. I hate day lilies and refuse to have them anywhere in my yard.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:01 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
The daylilies here in the Central Valley of California bloom from March thru October.

Those along with agapanthus are ubiquitous yes in landscaping especially here on the West Coast.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Wow that must be fun. I have early, mid season and late blooming and some repeat blooming iris all doing their thing in my NC garden.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:41 PM

2,666 posts, read 2,734,559 times
Day lillies are for people that can't get the dandelions to grow !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden