U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 02:06 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,994,412 times

Advertisements

We have two 15 yr young tree (about 8 ft in height with beautiful vase shape branches) that flowered beautifully after the weather warmed up last month here in the Boston Suburbs. The flowers lasted about 10 days followed by new leaves on the branches. However, unlike the previous years, all the leaves disappeared within the week and now the tree has been completely bare for 3 weeks or so.

I think some colony of worm were massively hungry and ate anything that leaved out and these two trees happened to be 'it' since other trees were leaving out later than usual.

Question is: Will the trees need any help recovering from the worm attack or do I just let nature take its course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:25 PM

2,956 posts, read 11,040,330 times
If the tree has been defoliated after it leafed out, this is bad indeed.

Have you gone out to take a good look at the tree and its alleged worms? Have you observed worms or are you just guessing? If there are that many worms you'll be able to see them.

If the tree has a good healthy root system it will attempt to leaf out again.

You need a more accurate idea of why the leaves disappeared. Go outside and take a good look at your tree. If you find weepy, sappy ugly stuff or if you find worms, whatever you find, post some pics here.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 PM

248 posts, read 205,947 times
Since you are in a Boston suburb, my guess would be winter moth larvae. They have been a BIG problem around Massachusetts...starting on the south shore and moving north. They've hit Southern NH and Maine now. Are they little green inch worm things? They start out so tiny, that you'll have to look hard for them. They like to get into blossoms and hide there. Eventually, if you don't get to them promptly, you might see them hanging down from limbs on fine webs as they drop to the ground.

Yes, they are serious. They have been defoliating hardwood trees around the area for some time.

Here in the Merrimack Valley, they were after the blossoms and early leaves on my apple trees earlier this spring. I hit them with BTK (Bacillus thuringiensis), which is innocous for humans and other things that are not caterpillars. I sprayed as soon as I saw what was going on and again just last week. It is a bacteria, that the caterpillars eat and then die. I have 40 trees, so I use a big sprayer on the back of my tractor, for one tree you could hand spray. I got the BTK concentrate at Agway, it's labeled "Thuracide" there. It seems to have worked to some extent, as I have a lot of new leaves with no chew marks on them and enough blossoms that made it to fruit set that I'll have to thin.

It MAY be too late for BTK, or much else at this point, as the caterpillars have probably already dropped to the ground (after eating all your leaves). I would get out there early next year though, when you first blossoms, and possibly several more times as new leaves appear. The larvae actually have to eat the treated leaves to die, but they will stop feeding on your tree nearly right away.

I don't think this status report is current, as our trees are well past the mentioned stages now...wish it had a date on it. But, you get the idea.

https://extension.umass.edu/landscap...th-information

I won't use the Spinosad they mention during bloom....because bees! I haven't needed it as the BTK seems to have reduced the larvae numbers enough to get some healthy foliage and fruit.

Last edited by KKay9; 05-26-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Thanks very much. I did see a green worm about 1 inch hanging on a fine web from the branch. Didn't look closer enough to see if they are a lot of them since I was out of town for 5 days and the leaves pretty much disappeared that week. If the trees survive, I'll look for the product you mentioned. That's awesome info.

BTW, I was biking in Falmouth 2 weeks ago and the same looking worms were practically everywhere. The worms were in our hair, on our clothes, etc. I didn't know they are so destructive.

Last edited by mmyk72; 05-26-2015 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 05:01 AM

248 posts, read 205,947 times
My understanding is that trees will try to put out new leaves after defoliation and that they can survive a couple of years in a row of it. They'll be under a lot of stress, though. I'd give them plenty of water while they are working on new leaves now, especially since we've had no real rain to speak of in this area for a couple of months. If you call UMass Extension, at the Amherst campus, they can probably give you solid advice...mine is just from researching to try to keep on top of my trees.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Thanks KKAY. Appreciate the info and advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or