U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,601,506 times

Advertisements

I shall have to use some of these to get the cats in my neighborhood to stop using the area under my porch as their personal litter box. Especially now that it is getting hot out the smell is getting out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 04:16 PM

5,018 posts, read 5,686,168 times
I planted catnip and cat grass in the back of my yard along the lot line, plus I have a raised garden bed that is loamy back there. The feral cats hang out there and leave the rest of my yard alone.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:59 PM

3,553 posts, read 2,293,599 times
I would not use mothballs toxic to cats and the environment. I'll second the chicken wire suggestion. I used it to keep my indoor cats out of my large potted plants.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:14 PM

6,611 posts, read 18,267,363 times
Keep the top soil damp via a light sprinkling of water.....they like soft DRY soil to cover their mess while a Dog just takes a DUMP.

I always had a cat years ago and that is what I did and a dog that I had to clean up after....cat no problem.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:19 PM

402 posts, read 298,512 times
Cats are like the honey badger! Just don't give a.....

Old 06-12-2015, 06:26 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,496,840 times
Human urine works. We just use a empty Cool Whip container and "fill it" and take it out to the area where they are "going". You also water down the urine I think the ratio is 8 parts water and 1 part urine and it is actually healthy for the plants. Fertilizing with human urine - [Veganic Agriculture Network] and How To Use Pee In Your Garden They find us as offensive as we find them evidently. Also, keep a pitcher of water handy and throw it on them when you see them in the yard.

Cats doing this can ruin your yard. I know a woman who had that happen. She could not get the house sold. It was not her cats that did it. She tried everything but by the time it smelled bad enough that she felt she needed to do something, it was too late.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:41 PM

461 posts, read 272,384 times
I had the exact same problem once in the flower beds by my front door. After trying orange peals, several commercial "cat-b-gone" type products, and cayenne pepper, everything else I read about with no consistent success, I got a motion-activated sprinkler. Took about a week and that solved the problem! After getting a couple of shots of cold water the cat never came back, and it's been a couple of years now. Doesn't hurt the cat or the environment, either. Doesn't require collecting or sprinkling garage around or buying and cutting chicken wire, etc. Worth every penny!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:39 PM

5,359 posts, read 4,765,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Rocks. Cats will not dig through rocks.
Oh, I disagree...a neighborhood cat just poops right on my gravel walkway with no digging at all.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Human urine works. We just use a empty Cool Whip container and "fill it" and take it out to the area where they are "going". You also water down the urine I think the ratio is 8 parts water and 1 part urine and it is actually healthy for the plants. Fertilizing with human urine - [Veganic Agriculture Network] and How To Use Pee In Your Garden They find us as offensive as we find them evidently. Also, keep a pitcher of water handy and throw it on them when you see them in the yard.

Cats doing this can ruin your yard. I know a woman who had that happen. She could not get the house sold. It was not her cats that did it. She tried everything but by the time it smelled bad enough that she felt she needed to do something, it was too late.
I don't think I could get close enough to my cat visitors to throw water on them, esp since I started growling at them. I might get a Super Soaker water gun and squirt them with water...or I could fill it up with human urine.

We had a cat die of anti-freeze poisoning once...I will never understand the need to let a cat outdoors.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
I had the exact same problem once in the flower beds by my front door. After trying orange peals, several commercial "cat-b-gone" type products, and cayenne pepper, everything else I read about with no consistent success, I got a motion-activated sprinkler. Took about a week and that solved the problem! After getting a couple of shots of cold water the cat never came back, and it's been a couple of years now. Doesn't hurt the cat or the environment, either. Doesn't require collecting or sprinkling garage around or buying and cutting chicken wire, etc. Worth every penny!
$69.99 at Lowes and Home Depot. Guess I'll have to stick with my super soaker while I save my loose change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden