U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:56 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,651,130 times

Advertisements

I so dislike people who let their cats roam.

I put down some moth balls yesterday after cleaning up the mess.
Don't think it is working this time like it had in the past.

If you have had a problem with this what did you do that worked?
It is out my front door, put out pretty new bushes and beautiful flowers.

Now it is stinky out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,595,907 times
Sprinkle Cayenne Pepper in the cat dumping areas and their gone, no damage to garden.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:30 AM

4,198 posts, read 3,477,729 times
Well, I am following the recommendation of a friend so we'll see how it works!

Coffee grounds and orange peels (and yes I am taking donations from the girls at work, large flower beds along the side of the house).

Old 06-07-2015, 09:37 AM

5,436 posts, read 3,132,828 times
Moth balls and cayenne pepper. Hmm. Might be worth a try here.

I'm both a flower gardener and a cat owner. And this can be a problem.

On the one hand I am glad that my kitties like to use their outdoor space most of the year and save me the trouble of cleaning up after them. But then there are my flowers (and the odor problem if they aren't too meticulous about covering.)

Usually they use a spot in the back of the yard in a narrow area between the garage and fence which is not used by anyone but them. But in the spring when they see me out digging in the dirt they come along and get enthusiastic about digging right along with me. Gives them ideas and "permission" I suppose.

The scent will break down fairly rapidly unless it becomes an established habit. Organic material and all that. Ugh. Hasn't seemed to harm anything that's growing.

A larger problem for me is that when the bedding plants are still unestablished the digging and joyful rolling about in the fresh Spring dirt harms the tiny plants. For this reason I always buy a few more of each than I need and keep them aside in an extra bed for filling in when the inevitable happens.

There is that necessity of excreting and mine are fairly well-mannered about it. Then there is the issue of "marking their territory" and a lot of that goes on during Spring mating season. This is when you'll have males looking for mates intruding into your area and leaving a calling card.

It's all part of the natural social behavior of felines but it certainly doesn't fit very well into what humans consider good neighbor etiquette.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:38 AM

5,436 posts, read 3,132,828 times
Yes. Orange peels. Cats hate that smell.

There is also a spray you can buy that repels cats.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 8,927,928 times
Find someone with a holly tree or bush and ask for some clippings, cut them into pieces and spread around the bed, they are very prickly. If you can get a lot, chop them up and use as a mulch, it will keep the cats out.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:37 PM

5,076 posts, read 8,103,570 times
Rocks. Cats will not dig through rocks.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:40 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,928,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

I so dislike people who let their cats roam.

I put down some moth balls yesterday after cleaning up the mess.
Don't think it is working this time like it had in the past.

If you have had a problem with this what did you do that worked?
It is out my front door, put out pretty new bushes and beautiful flowers.

Now it is stinky out there
Let your DOG roam free!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 PM

36,440 posts, read 42,165,577 times
All you have to do is google how to keep cats out of flower beds

I would not use moth balls. it is toxic to cats and I doubt you want to kill them. Put some moth balls in something you can poke holes in so the odor will get to the cats but they can't eat it.

10 Ways to Keep Cats Away From Yards (1-6)

Last edited by Rance; 06-11-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 03:31 PM

4,237 posts, read 3,578,876 times
You can put down chicken wire and cover it with light layer of mulch or soil. Cats like to dig in soft soil, the chicken wire will make that impossible. I have one flower bed that I have to do this in & it works. I lay the wire out flat & cut openings where I transplant clumps of annuals. In fall, I roll up wire & store until next season. I can see it working well for permanent plantings. It would take work but then it would be done.
The lady that showed me how just heavily planted seeds of flowers then laid the wire on top & left it exposed---the flower plants grew up through the mesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden