Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's those tiny ones that concern me too. especially if they end up where you can't see them, you may scratch awhile before realizing it's actually a tick at all.
You might not even realize it - they are that small. You might think that it is only another new mole or small bug bite. My wife thought something was different about one new mole. I pulled it off with the tweezers. However we could not identify it as any tic until after we sat it on one sheet of white paper under our 6 inch magnifying light. Then we still were not sure until it moved!

That is scary and the process of identifying these female nymph tics is also scary. Find out the process for your own area. we thought our doctor could help us; but he could not. Then we tried the hospital and they could not. It wasn't until I remembered and article that ran in our local newspaper about our local college.
They identified the tick for us and they gave us an estimate of how long it had been feeding (important to know because of the 36 hours that are needed to transmit the disease). But they could not tell us if the tick was indeed infected with the Lyme disease - that is another test that takes days to get the results and cost some money. Of course you are then placed in the dilemma if you want to start the antibiotic treatment (providing your doctor will prescribe the strong antibiotic). My wife took the one pill and promptly threw up (one of the side effects). Then you are left not knowing if the pill did any good - fortunately the results came back negative on the tic.

But these are all issues that everybody that works outside or has pets that go outside should consider - before you are faced with these decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:19 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've never seen this before but it certainly is worth a try as we always leave some part behind when we use tweezers.

How to remove a tick: The simplest easiest way to remove a tick
A friend of mine showed me his new tick key:

Tick Key Home - The Easiest To Use Tick Removal Device On Earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden