U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 AM

16,123 posts, read 16,236,695 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any beaver resistant trees and plants. We have a creek that borders our property in TN and the beavers are a problem. They have cleared out the natural vegetation, cut down our hemlocks, and cut down our cypress. So far the only thing they don't like are the frasier firs but they don't do well on our property.(They die).

Needless to say these beavers have become a costly problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 6,486,407 times
Pine, fir, spruce, etc...the evergreens/conifers are something they'll eat up only if they don't have anything else to eat. But unfortunately if they've decided to make their home there, eventually they'll eat all the trees because they'll run out of the ones they want and get desperate.

The only idea I have is to contact your local fish and game office and see if they will trap and resettle the beavers out of your area.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Roaminred,

Yes they seem to be eating everything close to the water. There isn't much left and we want privacy. We are not going to put up a solid fence on 11 acres. Too much money.

We are allowed to shoot them but we hate doing that. We have contacted the game warden but I don't think they will do enough.

Lisa

Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 AM

Oh, I couldn't shoot them either Maybe some sort of pest control company can come humanely trap them? Good luck, I'd have a really hard time killing the little buggers too.

**Edit: I found a site that says you can often make them go away if you keep removing their dams and lodges, and by "harrassing" them any time you see them. Rent a big dog maybe? And here's a list of professionals that can remove them:

Nationwide Professional Wildlife Animal Control Trappers

Last edited by RoaminRed; 01-22-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Found some info to add

Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Oh, I couldn't shoot them either Maybe some sort of pest control company can come humanely trap them? Good luck, I'd have a really hard time killing the little buggers too.

**Edit: I found a site that says you can often make them go away if you keep removing their dams and lodges, and by "harrassing" them any time you see them. Rent a big dog maybe? And here's a list of professionals that can remove them:

Nationwide Professional Wildlife Animal Control Trappers
Thanks Roaminred for trying to help,
I was hoping for an easy inexpensive solution. Wishful thinking. Anyway we do go out and break up their dams but we haven't found the lodges.

My husband just wants to blow them up. Kidding-he really doesn't like to kill except when absolutely neccesary.(I could probably kill some people easier than an innocent animal-ha,ha).

Lisa

Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM

7,707 posts, read 10,996,334 times
Get a Havahart trap that is big enough to trap them alive and then just resettle them elsewhere- at least 10 miles away so they do not return. No need to shoot them.

A terrorist cell of raccoons was chewing my parents' lawn up while digging for grubs. I trapped a couple and then took them to a huge state park full of forests and food. I did the same with some squirrels when their numbers became overwhelming.

You can get the traps here:

Animal repellents, animal traps and pet supplies - Havahart®

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks Roaminred for trying to help,
I was hoping for an easy inexpensive solution. Wishful thinking. Anyway we do go out and break up their dams but we haven't found the lodges.

My husband just wants to blow them up. Kidding-he really doesn't like to kill except when absolutely neccesary.(I could probably kill some people easier than an innocent animal-ha,ha).

Lisa
They actually may not have lodges...beavers will dig dens into the banks of the stream too, though the entry will be underwater. Difficult to find.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Get a Havahart trap that is big enough to trap them alive and then just resettle them elsewhere- at least 10 miles away so they do not return. No need to shoot them.

A terrorist cell of raccoons was chewing my parents' lawn up while digging for grubs. I trapped a couple and then took them to a huge state park full of forests and food. I did the same with some squirrels when their numbers became overwhelming.

You can get the traps here:

Animal repellents, animal traps and pet supplies - Havahart®

Thanks. I tried your link but they don't mention anything about beavers. Not a good sign.

Lisa

Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 AM

7,707 posts, read 10,996,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks. I tried your link but they don't mention anything about beavers. Not a good sign.

Lisa
Just get the one that would be big enough to catch them. Are they much bigger than Raccoons? Just get the one for raccoons and put a bunch of carrots or whatever they eat in it and you will have yourself a Beaver.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Just get the one that would be big enough to catch them. Are they much bigger than Raccoons? Just get the one for raccoons and put a bunch of carrots or whatever they eat in it and you will have yourself a Beaver.
Beavers live in familial groups. If you do trap and resettle, please make sure to put them all in the same spot at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden