Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:39 PM

387 posts, read 607,730 times

Advertisements

1. They ALWAYS get into our garden, and they have eaten the most of the leaves off of our stringbean plants. Last year they mowed through the same garden and made short work of the tomatoes too.

2. I think we have a family of them. My father is fighting for our garden, and there are so many we HAVE to shoot them. Running tally is 3 so far, a big one and 2 small ones. Eh, don't really like it but it has to be done. Not to mention they are dangerous.

What I wanna know is, how the hell do we stop them for good? All they do is ruin our garden, never saw any of their holes around. I heard laxatives work wonders on them...and I have told him we could keep them for meat, but he doesn't wanna do that for some reason.

even I'm sorta depressed about it. I know for a FACT we have at least 3 more. how do you get rid of your groundhogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 11:24 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
1. They ALWAYS get into our garden, and they have eaten the most of the leaves off of our stringbean plants. Last year they mowed through the same garden and made short work of the tomatoes too.

2. I think we have a family of them. My father is fighting for our garden, and there are so many we HAVE to shoot them. Running tally is 3 so far, a big one and 2 small ones. Eh, don't really like it but it has to be done. Not to mention they are dangerous.

What I wanna know is, how the hell do we stop them for good? All they do is ruin our garden, never saw any of their holes around. I heard laxatives work wonders on them...and I have told him we could keep them for meat, but he doesn't wanna do that for some reason.

even I'm sorta depressed about it. I know for a FACT we have at least 3 more. how do you get rid of your groundhogs?
The first problem is the very same conditions that make the ideal habit for them are the very same things you want for a garden. They do not like forests or Brushy areas. Meadows, pastures and clearings are their desired locations.

Here is a link to some old fashioned but effective means to get the critters under control

Groundhog Control - Organic Gardening - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Do you have out buildings on the property? If so check for underground entrances around them. They don't always live in a hole. Any place that is convenient, and dry will work.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:55 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Our area recommends trap and drown. They will even loan the trap.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:08 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Hav a hart traps have worked well for me. Instead of drowning the groundhog, I release them in a remote area. I'm not sure about drowning them, but apparently their meet is "tasty and tender." Celebrate Groundhog Day With Groundhog Recipes - Real Food - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Old 06-27-2015, 05:23 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Hav a hart traps have worked well for me. Instead of drowning the groundhog, I release them in a remote area. I'm not sure about drowning them, but apparently their meet is "tasty and tender." Celebrate Groundhog Day With Groundhog Recipes - Real Food - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
People, that set Havahart traps should be aware that peanut butter, at night, catches skunks. If you want to catch groundhogs use an apple quartered. Use the larger size Havahart. Throw at least one piece of apple all the way to the back of the trap, one before the trigger and one close to the opening. Then set the trap close to the hole or run. Preferably you have it set early in the morning till the sun starts to go down. Groundhogs are not nocturnal - no need to take a chance on leaving the trap set overnight.

Many states have laws about relocating captured animals. You should always check your state laws first. I don't like the idea of drowning. One low velocity .22 to the back of the animals head will end it's days pestering your garden - but check your local laws first. It is a very easy shot when it is in the trap.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Our area recommends trap and drown. They will even loan the trap.
Drowning is an incredibly horrible way to die and needlessly cruel. What idiot in your area is recommending this?

Old 06-27-2015, 01:12 PM

45,360 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Don't believe everything you read.

Also, in the top 10 of dangerous animals groundhogs are at about 627. They are a problem, rather their den openings are, for farmer's equipment and livestock.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:15 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Drowning is an incredibly horrible way to die and needlessly cruel. What idiot in your area is recommending this?
I have no idea who wrote the rules.

Relocation is illegal, and firearms in neighborhoods isn't an option.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:09 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
I had good luck last year with Coyote urine pellets to keep rabbits out of the garden. They might work for woodchucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden