Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:09 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,374,232 times

Advertisements

I'm in Zone 7A and I do love my hydrangeas. We've had two or three tough winters in a row, and my planta have definitely taken a hit, especially the lace caps on the southern corner of the house. They are half the size they were before, the blooms are not as impressive, and I still see some dead wood to trim back.

I had a talk with someone at a yard sale who said the same thing: the tough winters damaged his hydrangeas. Yet I see beautiful, healthy plants elsewhere around town.

What do these people know that I don't?

So...any tips or hints on how to protect my hydrangeas in the winter? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,749,717 times
Hydrangea Winter Care

Learn About Hydrangea Winter Protection

Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,269 posts, read 80,499,367 times
We are in zone 8 but still get to 10F at times some winters, but dieback is minimal. Since most varieties bloom on last year's growth, you don't want to prune to the ground and lay mulch to protect them. I will wait until spring, when the new buds start to form before pruning, and that means just deadheading and removing anything dead, perhaps some thinning. The old flowers help protect against the cold, but you can also lay some garden fabric
over them when it gets below about 20F for additional protection.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:33 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,976,354 times
I drive a stake in the garden about 4- 6 inches behind the hydrangea after I staple burlap to it, I then bring it toward the front of the garden again about the same 4 - 6 inches and sink another stake and then staple the burlap in place and continue thia around.

I wind up with a "U" of burlap that extends across my whole garden and protects my azaleas, rhodie and hydrangeas. Often times it is the cold winds and not even the snow that damages these plants, they become dehydrated with the cold winds, You can spray on an anti desiccant like, Prolong, ( used on Christmas trees) too.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:42 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,657,520 times
I echo the advice to not prune until spring. And then to only cut to the ground no more than a third of the tallest stems. This will keep your plant rejuvenated.

An established hydrangea with a good root system is capable of living through a freeze that kills the stems to the ground. It won't flower the next spring, but it will throw up plenty of new shoots. So one of your goals is to establish that root system. Any good general fertilizer will help.

Keep the ground underneath your hydrangea mulched.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:29 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,374,232 times
Thanks...maybe I need to buy a book on the care of hydrangeas?

Old 07-21-2015, 08:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,657,520 times
I'm a serious booklover. But no, you don't have to buy a book solely on hydrangeas. I don't know your level of gardening experience, but my impression is that you are a bit new to it. So I think you might be better served by getting a general gardening book which includes tree and shrub care. There's a multitude of good ones, check out the ones in your library or local used or new book store.

Here's a website of a nursery which specializes in hydrangeas - their care info is useful - Hydrangeas Plus

And another - http://hydrangeashydrangeas.com

A leading expert in hydrangeas - Hydrangeas for American Gardens by Michael A. Dirr - Powell's Books - but this book may be overkill for you.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:52 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,954,259 times
I'm in New England.

Mine are mulched.......and that's it. They're about 10 years old now.

I prune in spring once I see new bud growth.

This past winter.......was awful.........6 feet of snow on top of them.

So.....the pruning was pretty radical.

And now........you'd never know they were in such dire shape in the spring. They look lovely.. though past their peak bloom now.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:54 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,403,883 times
We live in Zone 7 and my wife only adds some mulch around her Hydrangeas before winter and we get a lot of ice storms here.
Attached Thumbnails
Wintering hydrangeas to avoid damage: tips please!-house-mena-2-2009.jpg  

Old 07-26-2015, 12:20 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,012,682 times
Slingshot: That is a very very beautiful house and I am jealous. Here in AZ we can't grow stuff like yours at all. Zone 7 is where abouts???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden