Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:31 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,760,789 times

Advertisements

I have bought a house that used to have a "spa" or small pool (maybe 5x8ft or something, 3ft neep) in the backyard, based on the papers they built teh spa at the end of the '70s.
When I bought the house the spa was already (recently) gone, but the pomp equipment remained.

So, what are all these stuff? pump, filter...
I am thinking maybe I would put in an in-ground swimming pool (20ftx10ft) within a few years. Woudl this stuff be useful for that? Or is it too small, too old, or possibly broken?
Or should I remove it? Sell it or throw it away?
Even if the pump is not usable, the pipe in the ground could be used some day with a new pump at the same location.
It must have some electricity and water conencted to it. I cannot find any main water taps to this stiff, so If i cut the pipes at ground level then water would be sprinklink from it forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 04:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,612,689 times
Before you start cutting on anything you should have the gas service shut off and disconnected as well as disconnecting the electrical service by licenced professionals.

I wouldnt reuse any of the PVC underground or above for any kind of pressurized system as you have no idea as to the condition. Even if a system passes a pressure test with the old pipes, they are still old pipes and could have some sort of defect just waiting to fail because of age. Now if you considering using the old pips because they are under concrete and you don't want to rip that out well then you have to weight the cost vs benefit vs risk.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Does this thing look like it has gas in it? see pictures.
I thought only water and electricity.
Can anyone recognize this particular model on the picture?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 AM

3,495 posts, read 746,355 times
the small metal line to the left with the red valve looks to be a gas line ...

Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,082,663 times
The galvanized pipe that is to the left of the pool/spa heater is a natural gas line. I see the valve is shut off just before the heater, but that does not mean the line is not still charged. Bring a pro in. Do not attempt this yourself if you are asking these simple questions!

Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
the small metal line to the left with the red valve looks to be a gas line ...
That metal pipe continues into the ground as a white plastic pipe. When I planted the palm tree I saw that in the ground, so I had to move the digging site away from it. I didn't want to cut the pipe in the ground. Is it normal to have a plastic PVC gas pipe?
By the way, I have not seen any main water and gas valves around the house. Is it possible that there isn't any? Or they are hidden in the crawlspace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
The galvanized pipe that is to the left of the pool/spa heater is a natural gas line. I see the valve is shut off just before the heater, but that does not mean the line is not still charged. Bring a pro in. Do not attempt this yourself if you are asking these simple questions!
what type of pro is it? general contractor, plumber...? What should I look for?

Old 07-30-2015, 01:16 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,082,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
what type of pro is it? general contractor, plumber...? What should I look for?
Licensed plumber would be a good start. As you stated the gas tie-in is probably under the crawl space, or at the meter. He should also be able to verify if the main breaker to that outside electric box is shut off. I'm amazed they are allowed out there to have the pvc above ground on a pressurized gas line. Unless it's not a legal install.

edit: Actually the more I look at it, i'd bet it was not done by a licensed plumber. Where that 90° elbow is right before the shutoff, should be a tee with another small capped pipe leading down acting as a condensation catch, and as a leg to keep it ridgid.

Last edited by LIcenter; 07-30-2015 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 07-30-2015, 01:46 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,939,193 times
"That metal pipe continues into the ground as a white plastic pipe."

gas pipes are often plastic coated to reduce corrosion when below grade (underground).

OP, you have shown an astonishing lack of knowledge about the entire installation. IMO, you should not mess with it without professional advice. Have the installation inspected by a professional hot tub/spa/pool person. That person can tell you what can and/or should be done to make it work for what you have in mind.
good luck.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 PM

I dont want to mess with it, but many "professionals" in my area charge $1000 to replace a lightbulb to anyone who has no idea about lightbulbs. The same goes for all kinds of contractors I dealt with. So when the plumber will tell me it will cost me $10k to shut off the gas to that pipe, I want to have somethining to say to him.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:22 AM

13,043 posts, read 18,016,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I dont want to mess with it, but many "professionals" in my area charge $1000 to replace a lightbulb to anyone who has no idea about lightbulbs. The same goes for all kinds of contractors I dealt with. So when the plumber will tell me it will cost me $10k to shut off the gas to that pipe, I want to have somethining to say to him.

It will cost you a lot more than $10k if you blow the place up and it looks like smithereens. What you should say is "thank you" and pay the bill. You don't have to know anything. If you use a licensed plumber and he is reputable that should be all there is to know, check your area BBB and see what you find if you can't get a recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden