U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 10:54 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,957,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I use that mixture all of the time. When combined with white vinegar and dawn - it does work. My garden and path are weed free.
The vinegar is doing the killing and money is wasted on the Epsom salt fertilizer that's added. I dump Epsom salts on my veggies and flowers to make them grow stronger.

Epsom salt is not table salt that burns plants, it is magnesium - a beneficial nutrient.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,249,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Just use Round-up, it's not gonna' kill you and it has no residual effect on the environment. Quick & e-z.
Not true for us. My husband breaks out in a rash whenever it is used, not worth it. It is also harmful to bees and other animals. We need bees and don't want to do anything that harms them.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:14 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,249,363 times
I have some very strong vines, baby trees and weeds growing between concrete and house, their roots are far below and pulling them out does not kill them. I have put down pool salt which should take a couple of applications to kill. Florida weeds are the most determined I've ever seen but I will prevail :-)

I would not use salt in other parts of the garden where I want "good" plants to grow.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:08 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,392,609 times
Salt! It will sterilize the soil and prohibit new growth.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:18 PM

38,687 posts, read 45,060,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Keep fooling yourself. Read the super fine print, it says to don plastic gloves to remove the dead weeds, then to put them in a plastic bag and dispose of in a garbage can. Roundup is not safe, the producers of it want you to think so, just like they did with DDT, they said it was safe.
Everyone has their opinion and I respect that, but for the past 60 years when it was available I used frequently without so called safety equipment DDT, Chlordane, Malathion, and Roundup with no ill effects. I'm as healthy now as I was when a teenager.

Yes some people may claim some problems but I bet 99% of the people who use glyphosate products according to instructions are just fine. As far as the bees they don't go near dead plants.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:23 PM

6,081 posts, read 7,035,284 times
Just another opportunity to mention that concentrated salts, including table salt, rock salt, and epsom salts will potentially POISON the soil and the water supply. Glyphosate does not poison the soil and does not get into the water supply, nor does it kill bees or insects.

A low concentration of epsom salts will provide magnesium to plants, but too much is bad for plants and bad for the soil. All of these salts are very waterr soluble, so with the next rain they will wash away. Where to you ask? They will wash into cache basins and streams where they are not wanted. Killing weeds is one thing, but killing the soil (actually the beneficial microbes in the soil) is a bad idea.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 8,858,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just another opportunity to mention that concentrated salts, including table salt, rock salt, and epsom salts will potentially POISON the soil and the water supply. Glyphosate does not poison the soil and does not get into the water supply, nor does it kill bees or insects.

A low concentration of epsom salts will provide magnesium to plants, but too much is bad for plants and bad for the soil. All of these salts are very waterr soluble, so with the next rain they will wash away. Where to you ask? They will wash into cache basins and streams where they are not wanted. Killing weeds is one thing, but killing the soil (actually the beneficial microbes in the soil) is a bad idea.
How does it not get into the water supply? Boiling water kills most anything, several applications may be needed, but it will kill the roots of blackberry, most weeds, except for morning glory. I use it on weeds in the driveway and sidewalk, it is not a poison. Roundup in concentration says to mix with "water", it is water soluble.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 989,531 times
Excellent rant luv4horses. It's amazing how nonchalant people are about poisoning the earth we rely on to keep us alive. (used up all my mojo on ya not too long ago)

Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM

13,466 posts, read 14,454,422 times
I have two stone driveways and I use Ortho Ground Clear. Seems to last longer the Roundup, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden