Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 03:19 PM

22 posts, read 31,803 times

Advertisements

Is it a good idea to have THORN BUSHES on our backyard?
We have cats intruding our gardens somedays and animals
I want to plant thorns or cactus to scare em away
Whats your opinion on thorn bushes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 04:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,074,990 times
(Wild) Animals are pretty smart. If the plant is gonna hurt-em, most likely they are gonna stay clear.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:26 PM

248 posts, read 340,681 times
It's unlikely to help. Our backyard is surrounded by a strip of very dense, wild, conservation land. It's full of blackberry and wild rose bushes, with plenty of thorns. I can't get back there without a machete without getting painfully scratched up. The bob cats, coyotes, deer, a bear and rabbits walk in and out of it all the time, however. They aren't bothered at all. I don't mind the critters as I'm not growing anything back there that they eat.

Maybe deer fencing? It is inexpensive compared to other types of fence and visually unobtrusive. It is high enough to keep most things out, you tuck it under and stake it to the ground on the bottom to keep animals from crawling under. If you have rabbits or other rodents that chew, you'd need metal mesh on the bottom few feet.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:14 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,895,043 times
Plus, if you of mow your yard with a lawn tractor be prepared to get a lot of flat tires.

Also not good if you have small children or people visiting with small children - kids forget about "no" and "don't touch" as soon as adults look away for ten seconds or longer

Old 08-09-2015, 12:35 PM

32,514 posts, read 47,553,130 times
I have roses. Those have thorns. The deer eat them and I haven't seen them stop any wildlife. Wildlife goes right into blackberry brambles.

Rosa rugosa hedge works if what you are trying to keep out is a group of teenaged humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden