U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you eat vegetables grown with human urine?
Yes 21 35.00%
No 31 51.67%
Maybe. I'd have to read more about it. 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 05:32 PM

13,230 posts, read 11,758,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I met a guy who said he grows his own vegetables with his urine. I had to ask him if that means he waters his garden by peeing on the plants. He said yes and that it's actually very good for it and it conserves water.

Needless to say the women around us had the "eww factor" and declared they'd never eat vegetables that were peed on. At first I thought he was full of it but then I thought we do fertilize plants with manure so maybe he was on the level.

Later I googled it and came up with these links on it. I guess it's a real thing but now I'm curious. Would you eat vegetables someone grew with urine?

HOW TO USE PEE IN YOUR GARDEN

Fertilizing with human urine
Sounds gross to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 06:10 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
It isn't the urine/salts so much that bothers me, it is the anti-biotics, hormones, etc in the urine. I'd need to know a great deal of how each and every vegetable uptakes those elements during growth.
So, if antibiotics and hormones bother you, where do you get your drinking water from and bathing for that matter? We distill our our drinking water. Drugs in Our Drinking Water?

It was feces that contaminated the lettuce and other vegetables, e-coli. And, you don't pour urine or a diluted mixture onto the vegetables and when you use manure, you use that before the fruits or vegetables appear on the plant.

As someone mentioned, if urine is gross and poo for that matter, stay away from organic and eat the stuff fertilized with chemicals. Chemicals? Urine? I'll risk the urine.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:21 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,893,154 times
European; urination.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:44 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times
That is a bodily fluid and not every human being is healthy.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:57 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,159,275 times
It depends how long ago the urine was applied to the plant and how much time has passed in order for the said application to break down so that the urine has essentially disappeared.

I'd certainly not want a salad of freshly-peed-on greens, for example

Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,121,412 times
What do you people think is in fertilizer? What do you think "real" farmers use? Anhydrous ammonia...one way to get it is through urea...which is a main ingredient of...you guessed it - urine!

What Is Urea Fertilizer? | Home Guides | SF Gate

The stuff about contamination doesn't much apply - when you read about farm workers, contamination comes from shall we say, "solid waste" - which is also good fertilizer...but anyway, urine usually doesn't have the same issues. So everyone get off their high horse...it's just fertilizer...like when dogs go in your yard and you get really tall grass, until it is too concentrated and it kills the grass off....

Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 PM

16,178 posts, read 7,095,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
That is a bodily fluid and not every human being is healthy.
Unless a person has a bladder or kidney infection, urine is sterile as it comes from the body.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 1,941,562 times
No.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:10 PM

137 posts, read 99,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Unless a person has a bladder or kidney infection, urine is sterile as it comes from the body.
Urine from healthy people on organic diets is relatively clean, although most Americans today are on chronic meds and many have regular UTIs.

Clean urine does save several gallons per saved flush though and adds nitrogen to the soil, after breaking down. But you do have to let it break down first and also not let too much salt accumulate over time. And again, this is basically best done by health nuts with clean diets - not your average American with chronic health conditions eating the SAD.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:16 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Guess what those 1000's of migrants do in the fields everyday...guess where your most of your food comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or