Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you eat vegetables grown with human urine?
Yes 21 35.00%
No 31 51.67%
Maybe. I'd have to read more about it. 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 06:39 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I met a guy who said he grows his own vegetables with his urine. I had to ask him if that means he waters his garden by peeing on the plants. He said yes and that it's actually very good for it and it conserves water.

Needless to say the women around us had the "eww factor" and declared they'd never eat vegetables that were peed on. At first I thought he was full of it but then I thought we do fertilize plants with manure so maybe he was on the level.

Later I googled it and came up with these links on it. I guess it's a real thing but now I'm curious. Would you eat vegetables someone grew with urine?

HOW TO USE PEE IN YOUR GARDEN

Fertilizing with human urine
Just start doing it on large farms the public will never see (home gardeners can try it, too, and just not mention it). Break it into its chemical components and give it a scientific-sounding name; make sure the people doing it are perfectly healthy. Market it as "organic." The public will never know or care.

I wonder why we can't just use animal pee, though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:02 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Many of us have eaten crops raised on composted manure and pee: Liquid Manure Storage Ponds, Pits, and Tanks - eXtension. Farmers have been using "honey wagons" forever. there is just a little more science in it today.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:13 AM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times
I used to pee around the perimeter of the garden to "mark" it to keep varmits out. I dont know if it was effective or not, but I thought so at the time.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I think the world is covered with centuries of pee, poo and the decayed bodies of everything that has ever lived on the planet, so I can't get too squeamish about a bit of pee in the garden. Has anyone ever smelled organic fertilizer? Definitely has something's pee in it.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:42 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I used to pee around the perimeter of the garden to "mark" it to keep varmits out. I dont know if it was effective or not, but I thought so at the time.
Haha, sort of like my friend saying she peed at the 4 corner's of her boyfriend's yard to keep all the old girlfriends away.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:31 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times
All the bunnies, squirrels, birds, bugs, deer, etc. etc. etc. pee and poop outside...near or on your food.

Farmers spread manure (which is pee and poo, for those of you who do not know this) on their fields. It is great fertilizer and the ultimate fertilizer.

It's funny to me....people get bent out of shape if they discover pee and poo was used on their food, but they actually pay extra for it (organic).

Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 AM

5,405 posts, read 3,597,111 times
if he pees straight onto the plants he's doing it wrong!! it has to be mixed 5 parts water to 1 part pee, then watered onto the roots not the leaves. I suspect he was pulling your pecker when he said he peed straight onto the plant, if he is doing that then he's a wally.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:31 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Would you eat vegetables someone grew with urine?
Unless you were stranded on a desert island with no other options, why on earth would you want to? When you live on the shores of the Great Lakes its not like water supply is a problem. If water supply ever becomes a problem in these parts, it's a safe bet that the rest of the world will already be dead.

This kind of thing reminds me of those weirdos that propose everyone should eat insects because they are high in protein and use less resources to farm. All I can say is that until the day comes when there are no more grocery stores stocking beef, pork and chicken or there is no longer a place where I can deer hunt every November, you won't ever see an insect on my dinner plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Farmers spread manure (which is pee and poo, for those of you who do not know this) on their fields. It is great fertilizer and the ultimate fertilizer.
Not exactly. Manure is composted before it is used, not dropped directly on the crops unprocessed. Without proper composting, mosty kinds of manure would kill the plants.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:19 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Unless you were stranded on a desert island with no other options, why on earth would you want to? When you live on the shores of the Great Lakes its not like water supply is a problem. If water supply ever becomes a problem in these parts, it's a safe bet that the rest of the world will already be dead.

This kind of thing reminds me of those weirdos that propose everyone should eat insects because they are high in protein and use less resources to farm. All I can say is that until the day comes when there are no more grocery stores stocking beef, pork and chicken or there is no longer a place where I can deer hunt every November, you won't ever see an insect on my dinner plate.

Not exactly. Manure is composted before it is used, not dropped directly on the crops unprocessed. Without proper composting, mosty kinds of manure would kill the plants.
I grew up on a farm. Trust me, not all manure is composted before it is spread.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:34 AM

579 posts, read 521,788 times
Quote:
Unless you were stranded on a desert island with no other options, why on earth would you want to? When you live on the shores of the Great Lakes its not like water supply is a problem.
It's not about moisture or water supply, it's about nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus which are readily available in urine. And free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden