U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you eat vegetables grown with human urine?
Yes 21 35.00%
No 31 51.67%
Maybe. I'd have to read more about it. 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:41 PM

2,575 posts, read 1,895,378 times

Advertisements

I met a guy who said he grows his own vegetables with his urine. I had to ask him if that means he waters his garden by peeing on the plants. He said yes and that it's actually very good for it and it conserves water.

Needless to say the women around us had the "eww factor" and declared they'd never eat vegetables that were peed on. At first I thought he was full of it but then I thought we do fertilize plants with manure so maybe he was on the level.

Later I googled it and came up with these links on it. I guess it's a real thing but now I'm curious. Would you eat vegetables someone grew with urine?

HOW TO USE PEE IN YOUR GARDEN

Fertilizing with human urine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 PM

16,202 posts, read 7,101,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I met a guy who said he grows his own vegetables with his urine. I had to ask him if that means he waters his garden by peeing on the plants. He said yes and that it's actually very good for it and it conserves water.

Needless to say the women around us had the "eww factor" and declared they'd never eat vegetables that were peed on. At first I thought he was full of it but then I thought we do fertilize plants with manure so maybe he was on the level.

Later I googled it and came up with these links on it. I guess it's a real thing but now I'm curious. Would you eat vegetables someone grew with urine?

HOW TO USE PEE IN YOUR GARDEN

Fertilizing with human urine

I not only would - I have.

And guess what? So have you. Every single drop of water that you've ever encountered has been used and processed by countless animal and plant bodies before you. What's the big deal? It's just a question of the necessary intervening steps. There's nothing mysterious or difficult about what's needed to make this practice safe.

Besides, I can't help but think of the places in the world where women walk miles every day finding and carrying clean water for their families. Every drop is precious because it represents hours of effort. They know that in places like the US, people p*** and s*** in water clean enough to drink. I feel more than a little disrespectful every time I flush that toilet...

Old 08-14-2015, 06:46 PM

10,870 posts, read 41,150,426 times
Ask the folk who have been seriously sick as a result of human waste-borne illnesses on their vegetables, melons, or lettuce how much they'd like to repeat the experience.

As recently as a week ago, there was a multi-state outbreak of illness traced to food brought up from mexico where the field sanitation wasn't; ie, the workers were p & s'ing in the field and those contaminants reached the domestic USA food supply.

Folks have died from such food-borne pathogens. Even in the USA, Rocky Ford Melons farmed in Colorado were the source of a severe outbreak of illnesses.

Third world countries where they have limited water resources are also the sites where such food-borne contamination is to be found. For some, the results are deadly, for others, their food system is so contaminated that the folk grow up with an acquired resistance to the bugs. Ever heard of "Montezuma's Revenge" down in Mexico? folks growing up with those bugs in the water and food supply can tolerate them, but folks without that resistance can ... and do ... get violently ill for days.

Also, check out the sailing teams reporting illnesses sailing in the Olympic venue site where the sanitation system of the surrounding towns dumps directly into the bay waters without any treatment. It's turning into a big controversy right now as the boating community is practicing up for the next summer Olympics. This isn't stuff to fool around with.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:47 PM

10,398 posts, read 7,478,326 times
Not if I can help it.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:36 PM

10,533 posts, read 11,632,560 times
Well sounds like urine luck! I would think there's too much salt and chemicals in urine. I'll stick to irrigation water.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:47 PM

38,684 posts, read 45,045,110 times
Just like poop it breaks down in the soil.
BTW in the military drinking your pee is taught as part of your survival experience when no potable water is available. It won't hurt you.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:15 AM

2,575 posts, read 1,895,378 times
All very interesting takes on it and some good points made too that I hadn't really thought about before.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 AM

2,484 posts, read 1,710,061 times
I used to live next to a "hippie" community that did it. They called it "night soil" and as far as I could tell they sold their fruits/vegetables at a local food cooperative.

I would never have learned about if my wife didn't choose to take Bradley method birthing classes there.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:29 AM

42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
So...human urine is gross, but all the dog, cat, deer, cow, bird, fox dookie and pee that is on the veggies you buy at the supermarket is super ok!?

I, uh, wash my veggies and fruits before eating them. Don't know about you guys.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,815,409 times
Peeing in your garden does not mean peeing on the fruits.
Having a large garden, in the middle of nowhere, the growers (myself and husband) have been known to take a break in the garden. We don't pee ON the plants, so the concern of contaminated food is, well, not a concern.

Those food borne pathogens found in the commercial food supply comes from pickers not washing their hands, not from using fields as a toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or