U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:57 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times

Advertisements

I have a metal rooster and some ceramic turtles, but the neatest things to see in my yard are the toads. We built a tiny pond in the front yard, and the toads had tadpoles in it, so my yard is full of adorable little toads. Here are some hiding out in a pot of prickly pear.
Attached Thumbnails
What Garden "Ornaments" do you have?-11863376_734182726728110_8400410660773562783_n.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 02:04 PM

15,559 posts, read 9,584,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have a metal rooster and some ceramic turtles, but the neatest things to see in my yard are the toads. We built a tiny pond in the front yard, and the toads had tadpoles in it, so my yard is full of adorable little toads. Here are some hiding out in a pot of prickly pear.
they are so cute! can they get out of there?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:08 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
they are so cute! can they get out of there?
Yes, they can. They climb all over the yard and into all my pots of cactus. Sometimes they'll dig a little hole so just their heads show in the flowerpot. They usually jump out when I water the plants. There's a leopard frog that lives in my pond too, but he takes off whenever I try to get a picture of him.

I have a big container of water in my back yard for the dogs and I learned the hard way that I had to put some chunks of concrete in to make steps so the toads can get out of there.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 PM

5,146 posts, read 2,992,030 times
Oh, I love your garden ornaments. It's a lot of fun to find just the right thing for the right spot.

My favorite are my collection of various metal suns hanging on the fence. Sorry I don't have a photo.

Tucked under the sumac are a reclining stone mama cat and kitten and a stone plaque that reads, "Those we have held in our arms for a short while we hold in our hearts forever." (That's a clue to the city inspector, should he ever come, that we have broken the law five deceased kitties worth.)

I wish we still had toads. Every year I set out a broken pot toad house in a shady spot but haven't seen any for years now.

I never realized what creatures of habit they are. One year we had a bumper crop of toads and I got in the habit of checking for one every day at lunch time. We had a rather large ant hill in the sidewalk by the basement door. I'd go out and sit on the deck steps and watch him come for his daily lunch. Didn't know they could move so fast.

And every evening we were home we'd sit out on the deck and watch for the toad parade. As soon as it got dark and cooler out they'd come, many, and hop down our nice, warm backyard sidewalk.

There's something special about having living yard ornaments!

Old 08-22-2015, 02:51 PM

15,559 posts, read 9,584,514 times
I used to have a bunch of toad houses until I saw a snake go in one and help himself to a toad. Poor toad couldn't get out.

After that I just took a couple of bricks or stones and put a bigget flat stone on top. Not as fancy but not a trap either.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:19 PM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Does a mosaic gazing ball count? I have one.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:19 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times
I have the same gargoyle as LIcenter by my pondless waterfall, and there is a metal crane standing on the water basin for it. In front of my house are two stone lions, one on each side of the steps. My pride (no pun intended) is a 6 ft. long stone recumbent lion I actually bought at an old thrift/salvage store in downtown Fredericksburg. He is nestled by a huge tree root and is very regal. I also have a marble Madonna and child, but they have been grown over by a privet bush so they need to get cut out in the fall. Couple of stone cats in the front garden beds as well, since the real ones don't go out there.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Does a mosaic gazing ball count? I have one.
Yes.... ;-)

Old 08-22-2015, 05:26 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
My better ornaments have to be displayed in the back yard because a couple have been stolen from the front garden. One was a large playful elephant that I loved and it disappeared. I do think I'm going to work on a rock display starting next year on one end of the beds.

In back I have a couple of Buddhas with other Asian little decorations. Along the section that's against the house I have sun plaques on the walls and lizards on the walls farther down by the deck.

I love garden statues.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:22 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Thanks PAhippo and LIcenter. They are in front of the deer fence which is usually barely visible. Sometimes I think about moving all my treasures around like some folks do furniture but then I think...Na I like where I originally put them. They compliment the plants around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden