U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:01 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,721,167 times

Advertisements

There are many versions of Bird Girl but the original statue can't be beat. I love garden sculpture.

https://www.potina.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 09:47 AM

5,195 posts, read 3,017,841 times
I love little flamingo girl and her self-satisfied grin.

When I was beset with empty nest syndrome I turned my attention to my yard and garden ornaments and ended up adopting a number of neighborhood children. My mother was concerned that all the doo-dads were attracting children to the yard and didn't get that that was part of my plan to have some little people around again.

"But how do you keep them from breaking or taking them?" she asked.

And I had a plan for that, also. I had a number of little, hand-sized turtles and things and each child was "assigned" to watch over one of them and that area of the garden. They'd want to help me plant and then they became possessive of "their" little spot and watched it proudly.

In the winter I'd send home the small ornament with them to watch over until the next spring. Some came back broken and a few didn't come back but for the most part it worked well. To my knowledge no one has ever taken anything that they weren't given.*

Those young folks are grown up now but a few of them still drop in to see the yard and reminisce about playing here. It was a win-win.

*Except for a grown up who was seen stealing plants off my front porch once and strolling away with them in a child's wagon! Shame upon her. Who could love plants and be a thief? Those two things just don't seem to go together in my mind.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:28 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,721,167 times
Now this is the ultimate Garden Decoration.

https://www.facebook.com/Fantasywire...4318877998427/

Old 08-24-2015, 10:32 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,445,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

That dandelion seedhead is a work of art! Pretty amazing. Hard to steal.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 PM

1,514 posts, read 771,307 times
Quote:

that is amazing. Crafting that and getting it perfectly balanced was a huge engineering project, not to mention the artistic style.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:44 PM

671 posts, read 1,472,021 times
Quote:

Wow, it's amazing, I would love to have it, too ...

Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,062,563 times
I have one of these, and I really love it. I didn't know how to post my own video in here, so here's the one from where I bought it.

Bronze Steel Windmill Spinner | Wind Spinners | Plow & Hearh
Attached Thumbnails
What Garden "Ornaments" do you have?-image.jpg  

Old 03-23-2016, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,085 times
I love garden ornaments until I have to put them away for the winter. I constantly collect them, especially in the spring time when getting the gardens ready for a new season. My garden fountains are my favorites, one is over 600 lbs and the other is smaller. I am into fountains and creating garden spots for solace and reflection. If you are interested, check out my site gardenfountainhome.com

Old 03-24-2016, 12:51 PM

13,144 posts, read 17,693,860 times
Why do some people feel they have to steal something from someone elses yard . I remember my grandmother catching someone one time and she hit them with a broom and told them to never steal from her again . This reminds me of an episode of judging amy when Maxine (Tyne Daly ) caught this boy peeing in her garden only she had this old toilet out there and she rigged it to snap on whoever was peeing in her garden and boy howdy did she ever she snapped that lid and that boys tallywhacker got nailed and he let out such a holler . She told him it served him right and why would he think it was okay to pee in her garden . LOL . I laughed so hard at that episode . But anyways sometimes you wish you could catch the theif and beat them ragged don't you ? I mean we put those things out for our enjoyment not theirs ....

Old 03-24-2016, 10:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,957,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Why do some people feel they have to steal something from someone elses yard . I remember my grandmother catching someone one time and she hit them with a broom and told them to never steal from her again . This reminds me of an episode of judging amy when Maxine (Tyne Daly ) caught this boy peeing in her garden only she had this old toilet out there and she rigged it to snap on whoever was peeing in her garden and boy howdy did she ever she snapped that lid and that boys tallywhacker got nailed and he let out such a holler . She told him it served him right and why would he think it was okay to pee in her garden . LOL . I laughed so hard at that episode . But anyways sometimes you wish you could catch the theif and beat them ragged don't you ? I mean we put those things out for our enjoyment not theirs ....
When I was a kid, we lived down the street from a ceramic tile factory. We used to haunt the giant pile of discards outside the factory door, and put tiles in our front yard, on a picnic bench. A little girl around my sister's age (around 7 or 8 at the time) was stealing the tiles. My grandmother, who had this amazingly high-pitched voice when she screeched, caught the little girl. She opened the door while the girl was grabbing the tiles and screeched, "Get away from those tiles before I come out there and spank you!". The little girl (who was actually one of my sister's playmates) ran away and forevermore would remark about our grandmother's ferocity. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden