U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 199 times

Advertisements

I agree with Lodestar that gardens are a great way to attract children! I like to make up stories about the ornaments in my garden, and I just love this story that this line of concrete animal sculptures wrote about the characters in its ornaments! I read it to my grand kids. [url]https://www.bigelowstudios.com/stories/[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM

1,377 posts, read 665,485 times
I use natural materials for garden decorations.

When I find an empty bird nest on the ground, I take it to the garden, put three pretty rocks in it to represent eggs, and tuck the nest in among the rocks, or set it on plant branches. The soil is here quite rocky, so I collect rocks to use for path paving, to make little rock walls, to lay on the ground in animal shapes, and to mark planting areas. Mossy branches that fall to the ground are used to make natural fencing and for plant supports. A small dead tree is recycled to use as a clematis support. Old broken birdhouses are decorated with fanciful roofing materials, moss, and interesting tree branches.

I have several bird baths, each holding pretty rocks at the appropriate depths for the birds that use them, and some have solar fountains.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:30 PM

17,894 posts, read 3,614,367 times
Metal standing cat figure about 3 ft tall...has bowl in front for birdbath

4 ft tall statue of seated Eastern religious figure

Tom Torrens 5 ft tall metal bell with gong

Tom Torrens metal bird feeder

Old 10-25-2018, 08:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 5,823,827 times
Rocks for me. I like to hunt for unique looking tumbled river stones that have different colours, shapes and patterns and eye-catching mineral inclusions in them, like pyrite, mica, sparkly quartz crystals, etc. They go into the flower beds and to make borders.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:29 PM

18,962 posts, read 12,546,454 times
We sometimes border portions of our beds with large round rocks. We have a round birdhouse, that never gets inhabited. A glazed birdbath that does get used. And a pretend pottery birdhouse that sits on a bamboo stake. I also have a large pottery bowl for our hose. That's all I have.

When we moved here, there were probably a dozen different garden statues. I hated them all and I got rid of them. They were in the front yard, and the back.

If I could find the right metal sculpture, I would consider putting one of them up, but so far, I have not been tempted. If I had a decent place for a fountain, I might be tempted, but I really don't have a good place to put one. I would love to have fire pit though.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:43 AM

Location: Long Island, NYUSA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
6,760 posts, read 1,945,320 times
This thread is very cool, it has totally EXCEEDED my expectations ~ W0W!

Old 10-27-2018, 06:06 AM

9,148 posts, read 3,957,049 times
I have two bunnies with one resting his head on the other; a girl with a hat holding a basket that I put bird seed in and 3 bird baths, one of them solar.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:59 AM

41,118 posts, read 32,811,131 times
We have a large yard, so hmmmmm, let's see...

In the front yard we have a bird bath, a big pottery frog, and a bird feeder. These are in the front flower bed.

In the back yard we have several nice windchimes of different sizes. We have a fountain. We have several bird feeders scattered around. We have a glass globe in the flower bed. We have a solar light globe that hangs - it's really cool. It's on our patio. Around the side of the house, we have a fenced area that has three raised beds in front of it where I grow herbs. We have some Mexican metal art hanging there (a sun, a frog and a lizard). We have a few glittery sun catchers poked around in the flowers. It sounds like a lot but like I said, we have a large yard - the back yard is especially large and pie shaped so you can't see all this at once - LOL. It wraps around the two sides of the house in addition to the back of the house.

Oh, we also have two squirrel feeders - can't forget those!

Old 10-27-2018, 10:09 AM

13,216 posts, read 10,619,084 times
We have many of the metal chickens and other art work from Mexico like these: https://www.facebook.com/sanfordands...type=1&theater. We have them from six inches high to six feet high. Not all in one place; we do have five acres. From time to time they will rust but are easy to touch up with spray paint.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:11 PM

93 posts, read 33,007 times
4 pink flamingoes, who have migrated to storage for the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden