U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 12:43 PM

2,723 posts, read 976,870 times

Advertisements

I have this little guy in the corner of my porch. He's cast in cheap sandy concrete and has a broken (and glued) ear. He was here when I got here, already broken, so I fixed his ear and put him to work.What Garden "Ornaments" do you have?-thinking-dedo.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 01:14 PM

5,193 posts, read 3,017,841 times
The cat which is dangling a large moss agate was a gift from my daughter. This picture was taken a little too early to get the full effect of the blooms and we've since added another sun.

It's fun to have an ongoing collectibles hobby.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:49 PM

5,193 posts, read 3,017,841 times
I just noticed my garden troll is at the base of the milk can. Usually he's tucked away under some bushes but things have a way of moving around. Garden sprites?

Anyway, sometimes I've told kids that "He's (the troll) watching you."

No fish in the pond this year. It's so small that eventually they grow out of it. My little one dollar goldfish dwindled to one koi-sized guy who ate everyone else up and he went to live with someone else. Nature is red in tooth and claw. LOL

The number of little folks visitors has dwindled over the years. And it's just as well as it all gets more difficult to keep up as time goes by.

I'm hoping soon to have completed a switch to almost all perennials.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 AM

34,689 posts, read 42,839,747 times
I donít have much, because Iím worried Iíll become one of those old ladies with a ďcuteĒ hodgepodge.
We have some lovely concrete benches with glass inserts, and a natural stone birdbath. I need to think about integrating more garden art. Weíre pretty much done revamping the gardens, so now we can tweak them a bit more.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:00 PM

13,216 posts, read 10,619,084 times
I have not maintained these recently; but you can see roughly what we did. When I have had logs that have imperfections, where the broken limbs have started to heal, they can be sliced off with a chain saw. Then they can be used to make ears, eyes, the nose and mouth for tree faces. Sometimes we have used the white clam shell large funguses that grow on out white birch for ears. Of course they would last longer if we applied a polyurethane finish - except that would not look as 'natural'. I had some really good ones that fell apart over the years. This one is missing it's nose and ears that it once had:

Also; here is an example of what we would look for when we had logs:

That could be a mouth or eye or a whatever. It just takes a little imagination and my feeling is that these look so much better than the plastic faces that one can buy.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:13 AM

Location: Long Island, NYUSA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
6,760 posts, read 1,945,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Now this is the ultimate Garden Decoration.

https://www.facebook.com/Fantasywire...4318877998427/
I like to walk & if she was in my neighborhood, I'd walk by every day just to get a glimpse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have a bunch collected from all over. I usually keep them kind of peeking out from behind plants. When I asked DH to please photograph some of them, he brought them out from behind plants to get better light. I didn't have the heart to ask him to put them back and then photograph them again. Here are a few I really like. No Pink Plastic Flamingos for me!

My favorite, I think. Running Man.

No outside cats so these will have to do.

The only rabbits I welcome in the garden.

Some other friends.

Guess I have a lot but when they are tucked in all around it doesn't seem like much. I keep them out year round and some I only see in winter after everything dies down.
Please share some of your treasures.
Not sure if any of these can be seen from the street, but I'd walk by just to get a glimpse of these too! I think my favorite is Running Man also.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:48 AM

Location: Long Island, NYUSA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
6,760 posts, read 1,945,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have this little guy in the corner of my porch. He's cast in cheap sandy concrete and has a broken (and glued) ear. He was here when I got here, already broken, so I fixed his ear and put him to work.Attachment 204237
I like so many of these & especially when there are photos!

I have a similar little guy also however he lives in my home & is situated on a tall book shelf ~ from what I understand about him ~ he & his family hold a common ancestor, 'Little Dedo', a small gargoyle living on the roof of Notre Dame Cathedral.

I like yours & I'm glad you fixed him up!

Old Today, 09:00 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,429,322 times
We quit being snowbirds last year, selling our NY house last December and making FL our permanent home. I can now concentrate my attention on one garden. I brought along favorite ornaments from my NY garden that I’ve had for years.

The old iron trellis with butterfly finial is support for my my milkweed plant here. The granite lantern is now by the pool and had a solar light added with the solar cell put in a large seashell, this was DH’s contribution. Cowboy, the tire swing hanging on the live oak, is a FL addition bought here a few years ago for the grandkids who live nearby, mixing old with new. Sporting bandanas and being seasonally decorated, he squeaks by as a garden ornament.

What Garden "Ornaments" do you have?-9f1b36ea-e0d8-432c-9dde-09061d99a1f4.jpeg

Last edited by jean_ji; Today at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden